www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Unlimited hosting package or Dedicated server?

Unlimited hosting package or Dedicated server?

I'm not really sure what to go for here as I'm a freelance developer and I want to start hosting my clients sites.

Are you asking about should you purchase your own server(s) or lease them through a data center?

If so - both options have their good and bad points.

Are you skilled enough to maintain your own servers or would you have to pay someone to help out in a disaster?

A good DC can yank a hard drive out and place it in another machine in under an hour should the need arise.

Owning your own server(s) would be cheaper in the long run provided they don't break down often.

On the other hand - going through a data center - you can upgrade the machines anytime you want.
    "Life is unpredictable, eat dessert first."

I would be leasing from a data centre

Using a dedicated server gives you more control and security but costs more...
    "Life is unpredictable, eat dessert first."

In your case, you can go with a unlimited hosting package I believe.

Hello Friend

Checkout best web hosting websites webhostingspies.com

I think it is best to check out IX web hosting service. You'll get a rough idea on what you need to use. I had a similar issue a few days back, but then I found them. Check them out!

Why do you want to host your own customers sites .... ?

There are many reasons to move your customers hosting operations under your management -- but making money is usually not one of them.

• Better control of the technical environment
    • Increase customer affinity
    • Expands service offerings to be more comprehensive

These are some good reasons to expand your services into the hosting market.

In terms of the type of hosting, what do your customers expect in terms of support, security and reliability?

With your own server you gain control and responsibility. With a shared hosting account, you leave many of the hosting headaches to the service provider.

So the right decision is less about technology and more about your goals.

In terms of costs, a well managed dedicated server typical costs $400+/mo by the time you consider hardware, backup, monitoring and support costs.

Sure you can pick up servers for $79/mo but do you have the time or expertise to manage things properly?

I am amazed at how many web developers that bill out at $100+ an hour spend 3-4 hours per month dealing with recurring server issues.

Run the numbers and see what makes sense.

Also, I've seen many of our own web development customers fail at the hosting business because they simply don't charge a premium for their services. If you are providing an all-in-one stop for a business to get their web development, hosting and other IT services, there's value in simplifying things for them - you can charge more for this value.

For starters you may want to check out Hostgators reseller plan. You can give each of your clients their own access to cPanel and brand it entirely as your own, including your own nameservers.

http://www.hostgator.com/resellers

Thread Information