www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: My first published website. Share some tips please.

My first published website. Share some tips please.

www.elscrafts.com

This Is a website I done for my aunt. It's not responsive and there are a few things I need to finish.

I'd Love to know what you guys think and improvements I can make

2 small niggles:
    1. Where in the world is Linden?? Well, I found out. Seems it's possibly a suburb of Johannesburg, South Africa. I live in the middle of the USA. I'm sure your aunt is a wonderful person, and that she gives fun and engaging craft lessons. But sorry, I'm not travelling 10000 miles for those lessons . It wasn't until I clicked on the Contact link that I knew where Linden is. For that matter I had to zoom out until Johannesburg showed up on the map. Some location context on the Home page would be nice.
    2. I kind of expected the "topics" under Art Classes And Products on the Home page to be links to those topics, or lessons, or whatever. No, one must click another link to get there and then scroll down the page to find it. Perhaps linking to the lesson description on that page would be good: <a href="/classes.html#mosaiclessons">Mosaic Lessons</a> for example.

Just me thinking out loud...

Hi.

I have 1024x768px monitor, your website doesn't look good on this resolution. I know that you wrote "It's not responsive", but a lot of people are still using such (small) monitors. 1024x768px is a minimum resolution that websites should be designed for. On this resolution horizontal scrollbar appears on your website. It's not good. it's a mistake. #contentHomeWrap has 1008px width, it's OK, but #slideshow has 1000px width + 10px left padding + 10px right padding! It's too much, because when vertical scrollbar appears whole page will have more than 1024px width and horizontal scrollbar will appear! Try to remove these paddings or make width smaller.

Your top menu is broken. '#cssmenu ul' has 'width: 640px'. Menu items 'Gallery' and 'Contact' appear below menubar. These to items are 'invisible' because they have white colour and they appear on white background! Menu items (#cssmenu > ul > li) have 'float: left', so '#cssmenu > ul' should have 'overflow: hidden'. Why '#cssmenu > ul > li' have 'position: relative'?

Facebook link follows to Facebook main page.

Hi samuelweb,

My critique is purely from a 'visual' perspective.

Overall your website looks nice and clean - however the images on the products and gallery pages are a bit 'dull'. By that I don't mean the content, but they lack a bit of 'punch'. Some white space between the images on the gallery page would be more effective as it looks a bit cluttered and the images seem to all roll into one.

I consider the images on this type of website to be very important, as they 'showcase' some of the great examples of artworks produced. Just the sort of thing i'd rather be doing that mucking around learning web coding - Johannesburg is a bit far though

But I digress - perhaps your monitor is too bright? and therefore compensating when doing any image adjustments - or maybe it's something you haven't looked at yet because your main focus has been on the coding & layout aspects?

I hope you don't mind but I have fiddled with one of your images:
    pic3 v2.jpg Not sure if you can notice the difference?

Anyway, I like what you have done. But perhaps I'd best get back to my own coding and web learning than critiquing others efforts .

Steve.

[EDIT] Look, what I'm trying to get at here is that you want those images to look their best. ie. someone views the website and thinks "Wow! that looks great"! - "I want to learn how to make that".... "Where do I sign up for the class"...... = $$$ for your Aunt
    Last edited by stixstudios; 01-20-2014 at 01:59 AM. Reason: Clarification
    In the process of learning: HTML5, CSS3 and JavaScript.

Good, but not too much good.
    You have to set banner on upper area below menu.
    change your fresh and best meaning content in your site.
    change meta tags.
    See the NEW Signature Rules

If you change your signature again - you're out of here. Site Administrator

Thread Information