www.webdeveloper.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I am trying to make a tab on my website confirm before gonig to the link.

Ok, this is My Script in its entirity.

HTML Code:
    <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
    <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
    <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1" />
    <title>Untitled Document</title>
    <script>
    function gotoit(o){
    if(confirm("Are you sure?")){
    	o.href="http://google.com";
    	o.target = "blank";
    	}
    }

</script>
    </head>

<body>
    <li><a href="javascript:;" title="blog" target="" onclick="gotoit(this);">Blog</a></li>

</body>
    </html>
    When I click on the blog link, the image here is what I get... blog1.jpg and what I then do is click on cancle and this is what I am left with blog2.jpg so I refresh the page after clicking cancle and then answer OK to the question and I get taken to the page I set which is google.com blog3.jpg

This has been tested in Chrome, Firefox and Opera. Each browser did exactly as predicted so you must be doing something wrong, I suggest that you review your code or have your system swerpt for malware.

If you are using MSIE then try a different browser then see if you have any difference in the way the script works.
    Yes, I know I'm about as subtle as being hit by a bus..(\\.\ Aug08)
    Yep... I say it like I see it, even if it is like a baseball bat in the nutz... (\\.\ Aug08)
    I want to leave this world the same way I came into it, Screaming, Incontinent & No memory!
    I laughed that hard I burst my colostomy bag... (\\.\ May03)
    Life for some is like a car accident... Mine is like a motorway pile up...

Problems with Vista? :: Getting Cryptic wid it. :: The 'C' word! :: Whois?

Ok, it works perfect on Firefox, but on IE and iphone and ipad it will work fine if you always click CANCEL, but if you click ok 1 time, the rest of the website will take you to the blog if you click the link, instead of canceling the request.

I take that back, it does it on firefox as well. I know you are trying to help me but I really am doing what you told me to do.

UPDATE, if after I go there 1 time, and close it. if I refresh the screen, and then click cancel again, IT WORKS, it doesn't take me to the blog, so what do you think that can be? that is confirmed on IE, and firefox..

to better explain, when I hover over BLOG I see the words in the corner javascript:;
    after I click it and go to OK, the next time I hover over blog, it now shows the URL to the blog website, so if I refresh it, then I will see the word javascript:; and then it works as it should.

No idea, are your browsers up to date?

If the script is not doing what you require, then you will need to have a rethink about why you don't want people to leave your site, perhaps opening a new browser tab and then having the link open up the forum in that new window...
    Yep... I say it like I see it, even if it is like a baseball bat in the nutz... (\\.\ Aug08)
    I want to leave this world the same way I came into it, Screaming, Incontinent & No memory!

Nice question.... I also want a tab on my website help us

Errmm See above martin183, the answer is given but the person being helped is having issues with implementing something that has been tested and I know it to work which means I can't give anymore help than I already have.

Possibly location.replace() http://www.w3schools.com/jsref/met_loc_replace.asp in place of o.href, eg,
    Code:
    function gotoit(o){
    if(confirm("Are you sure?")){
    	location.replace("http://google.com");
    	}
    }
    Reality is it takes a little bit of effort on researching, simple questions in google will often return the answer you need.

Thread Information