www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Websites by scratch

Websites by scratch

It seems nobody on this earth codes websites from scratch anymore. Everyone uses Wordpress and similar templates. I've talked to dozens of people and they say no we only design templates or wordpress websites.

What happened to the good ol' days? Templates are stupid. Nothing custom about it. When you need security or certain features, you could do it. But if you know the Wordpress system, it's easy to break a website.

Well, the main reason is cost and time. If you can build one new site per week from scratch with 50% of your bill going to a graphic artist, or you can build 2 sites per week using a CMS without using a graphic artist, which way to you think allows you to make four times as much money? (That assumes, of course, that market pressures would force you to charge the same per-site in either case.)

That being said, if you get into the sort of web development as you might in some dot.com doing something new, you're pretty likely not using a CMS, though you're probably building it on top of both a client-side framework (e.g. JQuery) and server-side framework (e.g. Ruby/Rails, PHP/Lithium, Java/Struts, etc.).
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

I understand what your saying for a company or development team to do. However you wouldn't use CMS for Facebook, Google, Linkedin, etc. Thousands and thousands of websites still need to be coded from scratch but with such few people doing it nowadays, it doesn't look like the web is advancing, it's going in reverse now.

Quote Originally Posted by bdraper View Post
    I understand what your saying for a company or development team to do. However you wouldn't use CMS for Facebook, Google, Linkedin, etc. Thousands and thousands of websites still need to be coded from scratch but with such few people doing it nowadays, it doesn't look like the web is advancing, it's going in reverse now.
    I'm not necessarily agreeing or disagreeing, as I have no idea what the actual stats are and how people do it. I know that where I work our main site is essentially made from scratch (with the lion's share of the work being in the data and the application code to leverage that data), though we use off-the-shelf software for our blog (only a tiny bit of the site).* Are there "thousands and thousands" of sites out there that need that level of complexity and uniqueness such that they need to each be built from scratch, or are most of them just variations on the same themes? Not every small business that wants to sell its products on-line needs a scratch built e-store, I'm pretty sure you'll agree?

If you have an idea for something new that doesn't fit any of the standard molds, then yes, you'll need "real" programmers, not simply CMS implementers. And as a matter of fact, it's a seller's market here in the US if you have the programming chops to do it. But a good engineering team manager/lead will always be keeping an eye out for where things can be done using existing tools, as opposed to reinventing the wheel for every aspect of a project.
    * And I don't even work on any of that -- I work on a related product that we lease to business clients for use on their sites, all custom code running on top of a custom server-side framework, where knowing my way around a database is at least as important as my application coding skills.
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."

eBookworm.us

I agree, for standard websites, personal, small business, even some corporate. However in some cases you cannot use a template such as a government website or anything that is going to interact with classified information such as military, bank accounts, police records, medical records, etc.

But even real companies with 50+ programmers don't offer hand coded websites, which is the point I am making. From one person companies to large companies, it's rare to find hand coded programmers anywhere.

I'll have to take your word on that, as my personal experience in the dot.com world is fairly limited, and in my case apparently the exception to your rule. (I have over 15 years in non-dot.com IT work, mostly at a contractor for US DoD projects and one stint in the telecom business, but only in the last few years have I been in the much more enjoyable environment of a small-business dot.com. )

eBookworm.us

Thread Information