www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Partner In Website Design - PS Tuts

Hybrid View

Partner In Website Design - PS Tuts

I've been making photoshop tutorials for a while and have recently begun work on a website to host these videos: http://ps-tuts.co.uk/
    Currently I have built a simple 'Coming Soon' page with a target of 7 months to complete the website by. I'm not expecting anyone to reply to this as I'm afraid that it wouldn't be a paid position but the fact that we have a long time to complete it in, this could be considered some what of a side project.

The design of the website will be similar to that of the Khan Academy where users will be able to navigate to a certain course where they will find themselves in a similar layout with the video content to the right and a list of the lessons within that course to the right of the video. Design wise, it will probably be fairly clean, much like the 'Coming Soon' page. As you can see, there is a lot of work to be done in general and I haven't sorted much out yet but if anyone is feeling like they want to give this a go and help me, I would be much appreciated.

I'm actually taking on a similar project myself, however, it will be more for my own personal use until I have more content. I've been developing for some time now and I would consider myself advanced in most of Adobe's Creative Suite with over 10 years of experience, I go back to the Macromedia days! let's just say I sometimes finish things without even realizing it/second nature now. I've been focusing on vector based design however, Illustrator, Sketch, SVG, CSS you get the idea, maybe we can work with one another and pull our strengths together to come up with more practical means of the 'now ever so mundane' tutorial/education sites. I have a few ideas keeping the main focus on percentage based/media query design patterns and ditching the old "Pixel Perfect" approac. My aim is for a clean/scaleable/semantic web experience with proper use of new and future markup standards. I'm currently living in San Diego at the moment and my fiancé lives out in London so i'm familiar with area and make my way our there a few times a year. Let's get this going, discus what needs to be discussed and start building.

Cheers,

Mike

Hi Mike,

It's great to hear that someone might be up for the challenge! I've only just started to get into vector work with illustrator and alike and your skill set sounds like it would work perfectly with this project. I definitely had fluid design in mind to accommodate for the different screen resolutions these days (admittedly the 'coming soon' page isn't quite a fluid design). Being a modern tutorial website based around things like design and creative, your experience in this area of work would be invaluable.
    I currently live in the UK so the only issue would be the time difference but I'm sure that we could get around that.
    My skype username is: galacticfan - feel free to add me so we can discuss ideas, otherwise, if you don't have/want to use skype we can find another alternative.

Jake

Hey Jake,

Sorry for not responding sooner, Yes, I do have Skype and I'm adding you now. Let me know when a good time to chat is, we can figure out a better means of communication as well. The last time I used Skype it wasn't the greatest UX and wen't another route. I was thinking about media based design patterns this morning after watching someones interactive video resume and instantly this project came to mind. I know you already have a number of videos completed and I'm sure since our conversation you have been thinking about new content for future tutorials, but I want to try something out, maybe you can shoot a short clip for me doing, well, anything really pertaining to photoshop so I can have a sample hard cut of your recording, I noticed your videos on youtube were all in 720p, did you convert them and have the higher res masters? anyway, we can discuss this via Skype, hit me up whenever.

cheers,

Mike

Have replied to you through skype.
    Jake

Thread Information