www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Need insight on developing a crowd funding website

Need insight on developing a crowd funding website

I'd like to get some expert opinions on which technologies, platforms, and services you would recommend for building a crowd funding website.

Here is a general list of basic requirements:

- Secure
    - User registration area
    - Payment system (paypal?, amazon?)
    - Can be hosted on our server
    - Supports multiple campaigns, one to start.
    - Customizable (look and feel)
    - Easy for a non-web person to update content

The first campaign is going to be a contest that will allow users to sign up and vote (pledge a certain dollar amount) for a particular basic trading area of the united states. The (undetermined number) of basic trading areas that have the most votes will win the right to host one of Redstone Technologies' first mobile gigabit networks - a new wireless technology capable of delivering ultra-fast gigabit speeds without the need for an ISP. (If you have never heard of Redstone, here is a link to a recent article venturebeat.com did on us:http://venturebeat.com/2013/12/19/if...et-everywhere/

Here is where it might get a bit tricky - on the home page, we need a way for supporters/users to easily track which basic trading areas are in the lead. We would really like it to be in the form of a color coded interactive map of the united states. We would also like it to update itself with every vote/pledge. Any ideas on building something like this?

This is very much a grassroots operation at the moment so I would greatly appreciate any ideas, suggestions, advice, and overall insight on how to go about putting this together. I am also in the early stages of assembling a team to build this so send me a message if you have any interest.

Thank you all for your help,
    - Craig

I've noticed quite a bit of you are viewing this post but nobody has replied. If I have broken any rules or if I have not displayed proper post etiquette, I truly apologize as I could really use your expertise and insight.

- Craig

Quote Originally Posted by cholmes View Post
    I've noticed quite a bit of you are viewing this post but nobody has replied. If I have broken any rules or if I have not displayed proper post etiquette, I truly apologize as I could really use your expertise and insight.

- Craig
    Lots of people (and "people", such as bots) may view a thread without any thought of answering. They may be looking to see if your post or any replies address their question that their Google search suggested might be answered here.

As for me, there's just way too much there for me to consider trying to answer it all in a single forum post. My only suggestion is to do what you do with any software project: break it down into its component requirements, divide and conquer. The specific technologies you use are more likely to be driven by what your development team prefers to use than which one is the "best" solution.

There's nothing I see there that screams a particular platform to me. You'll need a database (MySQL, PostgreSQL, MS SQL, etc.), and a server-side application language (PHP, Ruby/Rails, C#/.NET, Java, etc.). You'll want some good client-side developers to handle the JavaScript aspects (and they may have a particular JS framework they prefer to use, just as a PHP developer might prefer a particular MVC framework). So, I might look for a couple key developers/architects you want to work with, then let them help drive the various platform and tool decisions, as well as bringing on board additional developers where needed.
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

Thank you for your valuable insight. You raise many points I had not considered and confirm some I had. It's a definitely learning process and you're reply has helped me to understand what steps I need to take next.

Thank you again.

-Craig

Thread Information