www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: install iphone app from Safari

install iphone app from Safari

Hi everyone!

I know this question maybe to obvious, but I have been surfing the net for a long time but found nothing.

A workmate of mine has developed an iphone app.

I have to develop a web site that when visited from Safari (on iphone) prompts the user to install the app, but if the user has already installed the app, to open it.

How can I do that??

Thank you very much!

This might be what you're looking for:
    https://developer.apple.com/library/...ppBanners.html

Hi Kevin2!

Thank you very much for your answer.

I have read that link before, but I have another question. The document talks about the method “application:openURL:sourceApplication:annotation:” in the iphone app.

Is the implementation of that method mandatory to show the Smart Banner in Safari?

I do not have any knowledge of developing apps in iphone.

Thanks a lot!
    Last edited by jessPHP; 01-24-2014 at 03:04 AM. Reason: disable emotions

HA! I was really hoping you'd be the one who knew what all that information meant. I caught just the barest gist of it -- "Put this <meta> tag in the <head> of your page after making necessary changes." At least that's what I think it means.

I'm not an app developer either. Perhaps your workmate who developed the app knows what that method does and how to implement it.

Good luck!

Hi, you can install iPhone app for safari. If you lost safari bookmarks from your iPhone, you can download Kvisoft iPhone Recovery Mac.
    Here is the guide:
    http://www.kvisoft.com/tutorials/rec...bookmarks.html

Hi Colton3310! Thank you for your answer.

I do not understand why I would need safari bookmarks.

What I want is that when a user visits the website from Safari, the browser shows a popup, banner asking the user to install the iphone app.

It is a matter of HTML.
    Last edited by jessPHP; 01-27-2014 at 02:32 AM. Reason: mistake

My main question: is the implementation of the method in the app mandatory for the Smart Banner?

OK, I went back to the page I linked above. After reading through it a couple of times it seems to me that all you really need to make your original requirements work is adding the <meta> tag to the pages on which you want the banner to appear. The in-app coding seems to be a way to allow a web page to connect directly to a specific page or place in the app.

But I could be completely wrong. Why not just try it and see what happens?

Hi Kevin2!

I have already added that meta tag to the head, but is not working.

Actually, I have noticed something weird. When I load the page with Safari in iphone, Safari shows the banner but just for a second, less than a second, and then the banner disappears.

Maybe this behavior is because the implementation of the method is mandatory..... isn't it?

Thanks a lot!

Thread Information