dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Autolock posts

Autolock posts

Can I suggest that posts more than 60 days old (original post date) are automatically locked against new posts being made to those thread and anyone wishing to make a post is forwarded to make a fresh post with the URL to the original topic.

In the past few days we have had new members resurrecting posts from several years ago and in a round about way `hijacking` the thread to ask a question rather than asking a question and pointing to the topic.
    --> JavaScript Frameworks like JQuery, Angular, Node <--
    ... and please remember to wrap code with forum BBCode tags:-

[CODE]...[/CODE] [HTML]...[/HTML] [PHP]...[/PHP]

If you can't think outside the box, you will be trapped forever with no escape...

It's not a bad idea... But often times when new people come to a site and see all the locked posts they get a bad feeling about the place...

We do try and zap some posts in older threads if they add no value. Feel free to report these types as you see them.
    "Vegetarians live up to nine years longer than the rest of us...Nine horrible, worthless, baconless years."

Well its not just that, its the issue of post count bumping, some newbies I notice ask strange or unrelated queries to get their post count above the forum minimum to get access to the features that are disabled.

This then stops that issue, the suggestion I made was to have the post that is made appear as a new topic with the URL to the old locked topic, I should have made that more clear, plenty of forums do that to stop old posts being replied to as in the cases I have seen are relating to really old methods that are defunct or out dated.

The alternative is to simply advise that the topic is an old post and the newbie would be posting a fresh topic and advising them that it is in their best interests in order to get an answer. At the same time they can be advised about the BBCode tags, thats another area that people are neglecting to do, wrap their code posted in BBCode tags.

If you can't think outside the box, you will be trapped forever with no escape...

As for the BBCode tags, I am sure that the post can parse the posted item to check for tell tale signs that code has been posted, like key words such as for(), while(), function(), return, <script>, braces {} and = signs and semi colons ; are all indicators of code.

Another suggestion is to give users an option to sort by thread started date, in addition to the default last post date. Is this feature already there

Two points, first. the forum lists threads by date with newest first.
    The second point is that people are responding to very old posts, this is either intentional to bump that persons post count and usually has a nonsensical response or unintentional (rare) to ask a genuine question.

Thread Information