www.webdeveloper.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [RESOLVED] Caeser cipher help - excluding non-alphabetic characters

That outputs "De, ^k^!" when I use 4 as the offset, encode once, decode once (which the first time works fine), then decode again ($ascii-- produces the same result). It should output "De, xkx!".

When decoding (decrementing the ascii value) the turnover points are 64 and 96 (at the other end of the valid ranges). See my "negative offset" comment in the OOP example.
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

How about putting in to an array all the letters you want A-Z a-z and then creating an array of values that can be used as keys and merged with the array_combine function.

Something like this (not checked if it would produce desired results but...)
    PHP Code:
    $asciiArray = array();
    $keysArray = array();
    // make ascii array
    for($ascii=65$ascii<=122$ascii++)
        if(
    $ascii<=90 or $ascii >=97){

// we're in range

$asciiArray[] = chr$ascii );

// make keys

$keysArray[] = chr$ascii);
    }
    shuffle( &$keysArray);
    $code array_combine($keysArray,$asciiArray); 
    then if you need to send the sequence of the array with the message as the cipher key, you can serialize the array and base64 or AES encode it.
    Last edited by \\.\; 02-02-2014 at 05:12 PM.
    Yes, I know I'm about as subtle as being hit by a bus..(\\.\ Aug08)
    Yep... I say it like I see it, even if it is like a baseball bat in the nutz... (\\.\ Aug08)
    I want to leave this world the same way I came into it, Screaming, Incontinent & No memory!
    I laughed that hard I burst my colostomy bag... (\\.\ May03)
    Life for some is like a car accident... Mine is like a motorway pile up...

Problems with Vista? :: Getting Cryptic wid it. :: The 'C' word! :: Whois?

A million thanks, seriously!!

OK, slight error with

shuffle( &$keysArray);

it should be

shuffle( $keysArray);

I tried it, serialized the array for the keys and code, base64_encoded it then tagged on the code, the breaking apart is easy if you add in a delimiter value like a line return

Code:
    YTo1Mjp7czoxOiJ3IjtzOjE6IkEiO3M6MToiVyI7czoxOiJCIjtzOjE6ImoiO3M6MToiQyI7czoxOiJCIjtzOjE6IkQiO3M6MToiZCI7czoxOiJFIjtzOjE6ImkiO3M6MToiRiI7czoxOiJYIjtzOjE6IkciO3M6MToiSCI7czoxOiJIIjtzOjE6IlYiO3M6MToiSSI7czoxOiJFIjtzOjE6IkoiO3M6MToidiI7czoxOiJLIjtzOjE6IkMiO3M6MToiTCI7czoxOiJJIjtzOjE6Ik0iO3M6MToicCI7czoxOiJOIjtzOjE6IlQiO3M6MToiTyI7czoxOiJaIjtzOjE6IlAiO3M6MToiTSI7czoxOiJRIjtzOjE6Im4iO3M6MToiUiI7czoxOiJKIjtzOjE6IlMiO3M6MToiTyI7czoxOiJUIjtzOjE6InUiO3M6MToiVSI7czoxOiJzIjtzOjE6IlYiO3M6MToidCI7czoxOiJXIjtzOjE6IkwiO3M6MToiWCI7czoxOiJOIjtzOjE6IlkiO3M6MToiUiI7czoxOiJaIjtzOjE6ImYiO3M6MToiYSI7czoxOiJ6IjtzOjE6ImIiO3M6MToiZSI7czoxOiJjIjtzOjE6ImciO3M6MToiZCI7czoxOiJvIjtzOjE6ImUiO3M6MToiSyI7czoxOiJmIjtzOjE6ImwiO3M6MToiZyI7czoxOiJiIjtzOjE6ImgiO3M6MToiWSI7czoxOiJpIjtzOjE6ImsiO3M6MToiaiI7czoxOiJoIjtzOjE6ImsiO3M6MToiciI7czoxOiJsIjtzOjE6IkQiO3M6MToibSI7czoxOiJVIjtzOjE6Im4iO3M6MToibSI7czoxOiJvIjtzOjE6InkiO3M6MToicCI7czoxOiJjIjtzOjE6InEiO3M6MToiRyI7czoxOiJyIjtzOjE6IngiO3M6MToicyI7czoxOiJxIjtzOjE6InQiO3M6MToiUSI7czoxOiJ1IjtzOjE6IlAiO3M6MToidiI7czoxOiJBIjtzOjE6InciO3M6MToiUyI7czoxOiJ4IjtzOjE6ImEiO3M6MToieSI7czoxOiJGIjtzOjE6InoiO30=
    Hcgge AelgE, WkFV VkeUgE hc cRqeEcE AkFgc 123456789 FV ReW...
    it is a bit heavy on the code length for short messages but each time you use the coder, the cipher changes randomly
    Yes, I know I'm about as subtle as being hit by a bus..(\\.\ Aug08)
    Yep... I say it like I see it, even if it is like a baseball bat in the nutz... (\\.\ Aug08)
    I want to leave this world the same way I came into it, Screaming, Incontinent & No memory!
    I laughed that hard I burst my colostomy bag... (\\.\ May03)
    Life for some is like a car accident... Mine is like a motorway pile up...

Problems with Vista? :: Getting Cryptic wid it. :: The 'C' word! :: Whois?

Thread Information