www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: What are the chances of being sued for copyright of pictures?

What are the chances of being sued for copyright of pictures?

I've heard that people have been sued before for just using someone else's pictures, I've been looking around google for pictures to add to my website and I've have used some people's pictures.

What are the chances that they could sue me for using their pictures? I doubt they will, even if they did catch me (which is unlikely). It seems very petty to sue someone for using their pictures though.

If I do use someone else pictures, should I ask for their permission or is it not worth the hassle?

It would depend on the picture and who you stole it from... Not to mention what you're using it for.

But, for example, your post above came from:
    The IP Address is: xx.xx.xxx.xxx
    The host name is: cpc15-pool13-2-0-cust145.15-1.cable.virginm.net

Anyone could do the same for your web site.... Then do a IP Whois Lookup and get contact information to ask that your site be taken down until legal matters are taken care of...

So yes, getting the permission for the owner of the picture is something you should consider.
    "Imagine a world where dogs took bad owners to the pound."

http://www.hopeforpaws.org/

What about copying their image and then editing it? Is that OK?

You've answered your own question: it is THEIR image. However, some points to consider are:
    a) Is the image copyrighted, or has it been put in the public domain?
    b) Have you manipulated the image to remove a watermark etc. indicating its origin?
    c) Are you using the image for commercial purposes?
    d) Are you worth sueing for infringement of copyright?
    e) Do you depend financially on the site?
    f) Are you someone who can be held legally responsible for your actions? E.g. Not a minor.

Resorting to the law is expensive, and time consuming, therefore it is possible that a copyright holder will merely seek to have your site taken down. But that is their choice. Why not just use images that are in the public domain, or for which general permission to reproduce has been given provided certain conditions are complied with (eg. not removing watermarks etc.)???
    Last edited by jedaisoul; 02-16-2014 at 09:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jedaisoul View Post
    You've answered your own question: it is THEIR image. However, some points to consider are:
    a) Is the image copyrighted, or has it been put in the public domain?
    b) Have you manipulated the image to remove a watermark etc. indicating its origin?
    c) Are you using the image for commercial purposes?
    d) Are you worth sueing for infringement of copyright?
    e) Do you depend financially on the site?
    f) Are you someone who can be held legally responsible for your actions? E.g. Not a minor.

Resorting to the law is expensive, and time consuming, therefore it is possible that a copyright holder will merely seek to have your site taken down. But that is their choice. Why not just use images that are in the public domain, or for which general permission to reproduce has been given provided certain conditions are complied with (eg. not removing watermarks etc.)???
    A) I Don't see any signs of copyright.
    B) No, there were no watermarks.
    C) Yes
    D) I don't know. I have a bit of money but I'm just starting out this business.
    E) No, haven't made any money yet, I'm still building it.
    F) I'm an adult. (20 YO)

Some good guidelines to follow:
    http://www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html

If I take a random picture off google and use it for my website, the chances are they won't catch me so their isn't any point in worrying.

Quote Originally Posted by NullDrone View Post
    If I take a random picture off google and use it for my website, the chances are they won't catch me so their isn't any point in worrying.
    Hmm, actually most of beginner bloggers are doing it, copying photos and posting it to their own blog, and as far as I've observed, no one was sued for it yet..right?
    I can never gain something without losing everything I had before.
    ― Nadia Scrieva, Fathoms of Forgiveness | 12BET

Thread Information