www.webdeveloper.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I use a CMS when setting up a web development business?

Should I use a CMS when setting up a web development business?

My sister wants a website built for her, this gives me a chance to practice my coding skills and I also need to build a website for myself.

The question is, should I use a CMS when I need to develop my coding skills. Wordpress can build websites easily without much coding, but if you are going into website development that is a bad idea, you need the practice so you could build your website without a CMS, if you are building it with a CMS then you are running away from the fact that you need to practice coding.

In a real business situation, if you are asked to build or develop a website that doesn't have a CMS then you'd be stuck as you'd only have experience with CMS before, you wouldn't be able to do anything.

I know that you can make websites faster and better with a CMS but is it better to practice without a CMS? Using a CMS is kind of like setting up a restaurant and because you were to afraid to cook, you used the microwave all the time, when you actually had to cook something you don't know how, you would rely on the microwave and eventually once you are given a hard recipe you'd be stuck as you wouldn't be able to put it in the microwave.

So although a CMS is easier, it's kind of accepting defeat, you can't code, you can only use a CMS. You are not a coder, just someone that can use a CMS.

Dharmesh Shah has great advice on this. Summed up, do whatever gets you to your clients fastest. Run WordPress on your own domain to start. Build something from scratch during your available free time. The post is here; I highly recommend reading it.

Quote Originally Posted by winthropite View Post
    Dharmesh Shah has great advice on this. Summed up, do whatever gets you to your clients fastest. Run WordPress on your own domain to start. Build something from scratch during your available free time. The post is here; I highly recommend reading it.
    the link is not working for me

Quote Originally Posted by NullDrone View Post
    My sister wants a website built for her, this gives me a chance to practice my coding skills and I also need to build a website for myself.

So although a CMS is easier, it's kind of accepting defeat, you can't code, you can only use a CMS. You are not a coder, just someone that can use a CMS.
    Just remember the website is for your sister (the client), so unless you can build a website from scratch with a more friendly user interface and in a shorter period of time than if you had used wordpress; the answer is clear you should use wordpress (or a similar CMS).
    Last edited by jedaisoul; 07-11-2014 at 02:33 PM. Reason: edited quote

Try this

Sorry, that ended up one post late. In response to the link not working...
    Last edited by Kevin2; 02-01-2014 at 04:22 PM.

I don't know what I did to mess that link up. The raw URL - http://onstartups.com/tabid/3339/bid...ting-Code.aspx

You can still develop your skills when using a cms site. You need to understand some programming logic to get WordPress,drupal or joomla to do more advanced stuff.

As I'm going to use wordpress to make a basic website when I first start, do you recommend moving onto a more complicated CMS like magento when I'm developing my skills and final website in my own time? I've heard that magento is harder to use but it can do much more than wordpress and joomla.

The question is - would it be better to completely scrap a CMS and hard code or should you always use a CMS even if it's a more complex one that requires you to do more coding? I just don't feel like a coder setting up a website on wordpress, it feels as if any noob can come along and just wack up a site in wordpress therefore I will only be using it temporarily.

Wordpress and Drupal are great for clients who need a way to manage content easily and don't require custom everything. Evaluate their needs and if a CMS fits the bill, do it. My opinion, anyway.

You can build with any CMS which matches your current skill. But if you want to prefer some reliable CMS resources i thing wordpress is far much user friendly and vast plugins are available. Joomla, Drupal etc might be considered as a good choice. Also you can build a website in core .php or asp.net with C# and that will be much preferable for a web development company.

Ya wordpress CMS will save time and will help you deliver the site your client quickly

CMS offers you good functionality to your site and offers you better web development with great result.

You are newbie and if the CMS is too complicated you might get overwhelmed and never get the site up and running. Hence choose a simple CMS that suits your needs, that you can get up and running quickly.

Just use any CMS but see to it that it match your current skill.you wan some great source then go for wordpress it far more good and user friendly and many plugines are available in it.

It is critical that you put the ability to edit and update your website in the hands of your marketing and sales people without having to wait on a developer or web master to make changes.

Thread Information