dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Creating an Online Shop - How Can I Add Products Easily

Smile Creating an Online Shop - How Can I Add Products Easily

Hello,

I am currently trying to find a way to add my eBay products to my own website as I wish to sell them from there instead.

I am a novice really, but I can follow instructions etc.

My website is written in HTML and I would like to be able to display my databse of products in a similar way to eBay, without having to write each individual one out individually. Is there a way in which I can fill in fields such as "Product Title", "Price", etc and add an image.

Any help is greatly appreciated, I have been struggling with this problem all day.

Thanks in advance,
    Chris

You need a shopping cart platform. Look into Magento Commerce.
    http://magento.com/

Easy ways- paypal or wufoo.

From scratch:
    If you're on a mac download MAMP; if you're using Windows download WinAMP. Then start MAMP. It will open a PHP MyAdmin page. Create a database called shop in there, then inside shop create a users table and items table. In users create the following fields: id, username, password, email. In items create these fields: id, product, description, price, quantity. Then change your html page into a PHP page (just save as index.php if original was index.html for example). You'll also want to maybe make a payment table with fields of id, credit_card, card_number, expiration, security_code, first_name, last_name, billing_address, mailing_address, phone_number, user_id, and authorization.

Then you need to write the PHP to connect to the database, start a session, output a form that lists the products from your database, and a submit button that sends the item, quantity, user, price, and all the fields for the payment table using method="POST".

You would also need to ensure data security measures as this is sensitive data.

This is the basics. Writing the code will be the hard part but it's all basic PHP that a google search can help point you to the proper, or similar, code.

If you get stuck on something specific drop a line here.

...or what cbVision said, haha! That would also be quite easy.

To be fair a HTML e-commerce website is never a good idea.

The easiest way is to get e-commerce software like magento, but then your design alternative is pretty much out of templates available for the platform on the net.

I would recommend a bespoke e-commerce system built on a PHP framework. Using MySQL you can link a database and have complete customation of the product fields which is better for importing many products at a time.

This way you can modify the site to accept CSV files and literally import thousands of products at a time.

Contact me if you want more info about bespoke e-commerce solutions.

Thanks.

Thanks everybody for your help, I will get back to you if I run into more difficulty.

[QUOTE=winthropite;1311991]Easy ways- paypal or wufoo.

if you're using Windows download WinAMP.

I am using windows and I got winAMP, but its a media player, is that the right thing?

Thanks.

I always do that! Haha. No, I meant WAMP (Windows / Apache / MySQL / PHP).

Quote Originally Posted by colleyboy View Post
    The easiest way is to get e-commerce software like magento, but then your design alternative is pretty much out of templates available for the platform on the net.
    You can design a Magento theme however you want. You don't have to use templates.

Thread Information