dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Is this a good idea? Using a URL similar to huge websites.

Is this a good idea? Using a URL similar to huge websites.

For example if I wanted lots of traffic I could sign up a domain name to be gogle.com, facbook.com, faceboo.com.

These are all typos of very popular websites and I can imagine that you would gain a lot of traffic if you did use those names. People would misspell facebook.com all the time and accidentally landing on your website, you'd get loads of traffic.

Do you think that'd work or could you get a law suit for copyright or something?

My URL is going to be like the word pixar which is well known, if someone misspells it they'll land on my website and it will generate more traffic.

Have a feeling this isn't an original idea

faceboo.com is already registered, but these options are available:
    faceboo.info
    If your site is about cars or fishing.... I'd want a name that meant something about cars or fishing... If you're building another social media site the misspelling would still be a poor idea.
    "Life is unpredictable, eat dessert first."

There are still less assurance that your site would have more traffic, and if ever it would have, I think the bounce rate would be so high, since that is not their target site to visit, the tendency is for them to exit. Unless, your site would be so appealing to the users/ visitors.

many time it happens that lot of famous websites already register their typo domain name for such type of use.
    So as per my experience it's not a good idea, this may lead to penalization also.

Yeah basically if you trick people like this you will get a high bounce rate which means Google / etc. will penalize you like crazy and you will never appear anywhere reasonable in their search results. You'd be trading getting any legitimate hits on search sites for "a lot" of unintentional hits by people who will instantly leave your site once they realize their mistake. Is it worth it? Probably not if you're trying to build a serious site, but if you just want a bunch of hits and don't particularly care that most people will instantly leave and your site will have no credibility with search engines and such, well... maybe?

I doubt you'd be able to get a decent domain close to Pixar's anyway. Most large companies buy out any domains that would be a common mistype and just have those domains redirect to the real one. For instance, using your example from above, Google already owns gogle.com and it redirects to Google.

Quote Originally Posted by James.Kavin View Post
    According to SEO its not good idea
    Yes, its not good. check your domain before buy it.

http://moviediablo.com/kaylila/upload/53/wso.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by James.Kavin View Post
    According to SEO its not good idea
    Yes, it is not good.
    check your domain before you buy it.

If you want to make a brand out of it so NO.
    IF you want to "leach" some traffic YES.

Thread Information