www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Can't get an element from another webpage

Can't get an element from another webpage

Hey,

I am trying to get a certain element from an iframe from another site. Yet I get security errors. Even when trying to get the element from an iframe that is local.
    Uncaught SecurityError: Blocked a frame with origin "null" from accessing a frame with origin "null". Protocols, domains, and ports must match.
    Basically I am trying to make a private high-scores system for my clan, for the game I play. I want to have it display the top 50 rank players within the clan.

I only know the very basics of JavaScript. I have been Google'ing for the last 2 hours or so and I cannot find a solution, I can understand.

Can someone please show me an example of how it's done or point me in the right direction, keeping in-mind my technical abilities (little-to-none).

Here is a link to the kind of page I need to rip content from.

Sorry if this post is any trouble...

Thank you,
    -Phith

iframes... about the most you can really do is tell if they have loaded.

It ls frowned upon to rip and steal other site's stuff, it represents that developers hard work, would you like all your hard work and effort stolen?
    Yes, I know I'm about as subtle as being hit by a bus..(\\.\ Aug08)
    Yep... I say it like I see it, even if it is like a baseball bat in the nutz... (\\.\ Aug08)
    I want to leave this world the same way I came into it, Screaming, Incontinent & No memory!
    I laughed that hard I burst my colostomy bag... (\\.\ May03)
    Life for some is like a car accident... Mine is like a motorway pile up...

Problems with Vista? :: Getting Cryptic wid it. :: The 'C' word! :: Whois?

Quote Originally Posted by \\.\ View Post
    iframes... about the most you can really do is tell if they have loaded.

It ls frowned upon to rip and steal other site's stuff, it represents that developers hard work, would you like all your hard work and effort stolen?
    I only want get publicly available data, automatically. If I wanted to steal content I would, but I have no need too.

Plus if someone copied my work, I would take that as a compliment. Software should be shared and built on. We won't get far if everyone tries to re-do something that already exists.

I need to get specifically the user-name, from there I use the same technique to get the users in-game stats. Then display them on a webpage.

If this is not possible in JS then I don't know what I'm going to do. My clans website is on a free forum/hosting service with limitations to what you can put on a custom webpage.

If you use the same method to get the users in game stat, you only need modify your code to parse the iframe.
    Yes, I know I'm about as subtle as being hit by a bus..(\\.\ Aug08)
    Yep... I say it like I see it, even if it is like a baseball bat in the nutz... (\\.\ Aug08)
    I want to leave this world the same way I came into it, Screaming, Incontinent & No memory!
    I laughed that hard I burst my colostomy bag... (\\.\ May03)
    Life for some is like a car accident... Mine is like a motorway pile up...

Problems with Vista? :: Getting Cryptic wid it. :: The 'C' word! :: Whois?

Thread Information