www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Does anyone use other people's CSS?

Does anyone use other people's CSS?

I'm sure that you could easily run a CSS for every webpage on the website so if you were to just copy someone else's CSS and edit parts that you didn't like then wouldn't that be a better way to do it?

Most of the sites you create would look similar but not exactly the same if you were just editing parts of them. People have created great CSS before so do you think it'd be a waste of time trying to reinvent the wheel. Just find a CSS you like on google and then use that for your website, it'll save the need to write your own.

Does anyone agree? Just take someone elses and edit parts that you don't like. I'm new to this so I'm not sure if it'll work but I can remember their is a way to apply the CSS to all your webpages so just download one, edit it and then you're done.

I did that with a series of photo gallery pages. A file upload script I got came with a sample page/CSS that I really liked. Changed a few things that didn't fit the site I was working on such as font, font-sizes, colors and a couple other things. Combined with a jQuery fancybox-type display script and I had a great looking and great working page. Of course I give credit where due.

To re-use a CSS file:
    Code:
    <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="/path/to/styles.css" title="style" />
    Goes in your <head> section.

You could always just buy or use a free CSS/HTML template that you like so you wouldn't have to feel guilty that you took someone else's work. Search google for 'free css templates'.

Quote Originally Posted by WebDesignDenver View Post
    You could always just buy or use a free CSS/HTML template that you like so you wouldn't have to feel guilty that you took someone else's work. Search google for 'free css templates'.
    Here's one I think is pretty cool: http://html5up.net/

I'm amazed that nobody has mentioned Bootstrap yet. It's absolutely amazing. Even big sites such as YouTube, Twitter etc. use it (obviously Twitter use it because it was created by their staff!). Icons are made much easier with its "Glyphicons". It comes with a whole BUNCH of templates that you can use. Navbars and buttons look particularly nice. Check it out! http://www.getbootstrap.com/

Thread Information