www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: [RESOLVED] Using the "impersonate" feature in IIS 6.0 running on Windows Server 2003

resolved [RESOLVED] Using the "impersonate" feature in IIS 6.0 running on Windows Server 2003

Hello,

My humble applications running on IIS 6.0 hosted in a Windows Server 2003 box are in need of an upgrade to improve user security. The code is all done in ASP classic (not .NET) and I'm trying to figure out how to use the "impersonate" feature properly to work with Integrated Windows Authentication. We created a dedicated Windows account and gave it all the right access levels to view records, execute database commands, etc., so as to avoid having the users get direct read/write access. This was the security concern we were battling in this other post: http://www.webdeveloper.com/forum/sh...ure-web-access

Right now, users can pull up the web page, but it doesn't pass their logged on credentials to the server, therefore they are not able to view what they should.

What would be the correct way to "turn on" this "impersonate" feature for the established service account?

Please and thank you for all your help!

Me

Thanks to intervention from Microsoft (definitely worth the flat fee they charge per incident), we were able to identify the problem. Instead of using the network path to identify the website location on the "Home Directory" tab of the IIS properties, we were using the local drive path. That was all that needed to be changed.

Once we switched to the network path and added a dedicated service account to "Connect As...", impersonation started working right away. Users pass their logged on credentials via integrated authentication (no logon required) and the service account takes care of executing their actions on the database file.

Thread Information