dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Creating a new FTP user

Creating a new FTP user

Hello

I am having real difficulty creating a new FTP user, I have only SSH and FTP(another account) to do so.

I have tried the following commands

useradd -s /bin/false -d /home/username David

I added/edited the password via SSH with the command

passwd David

Using these details with FileZilla returns

Response: 331 User David OK. Password required
    Command: PASS *****
    Response: 530 Login authentication failed
    Error: Critical error
    Error: Could not connect to server

Trying to connect SFTP with same credentials

Error: Connection closed by server with exitcode 1
    Error: Could not connect to server

I am running

Linux 2.6.18-308.11.1.el5 GNU/Linux
    (Red Hat 4.1.2-52)
    Centos

Can somebody please offer some advice, is there a better way to create a new FTP user?

I have noticed in my /etc/ directory some packages/directories called pure-ftpd, proftpd, vftp.

After a quick google it seems these are ftp server application, but I dont know which one is active, if any is...

really don't understand why webhosts install all this additional bull**** on your server to make matters worse.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Have you tried contacting the support people at your web host? Also, many hosts provide site management facilities that are simpler and easier to use than raw FTP.

Quote Originally Posted by jedaisoul View Post
    Have you tried contacting the support people at your web host? Also, many hosts provide site management facilities that are simpler and easier to use than raw FTP.
    To "manage" the sever my host charges 20 euro per 15 mins.
    If I do go this route, what happens when I need another FTP account created? I pay them again? and again.... and again...

I would like to know how its done, I dont see why this is such a complicated task for something thats so commonly used over the WWW

You can add FTP users to your server. You have the ability to grant custom access to each user.

These users can also have SSH and SFTP access, but only to their own home folders.

FTP users are created by enabling FTP access for an email account. This can be done for an existing email account or a new email account. It is possible to route all email for that address to the trash if you don't want the FTP user to receive email.

Thread Information