www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Automated recursive FTP Download

Automated recursive FTP Download

I have spent the past few days figuring out the best method to automatically download my website directory via FTP. Every way I found so far, there seems to always be a problem with it not being recursive and not downloading subdirectories. I found this awesome PHP script which seems to do what I want, however it gets warnings because it is making directory duplicates in the file path. (You can find that script here) I am temped to create my own script from scratch, but would not like to spend that much time on a small backup project for work.

I tried doing the FTP method via CMD, but same problem when trying to download all files including subdirectories. I though about hotkeys, but kinda don't want to go with that option.

So my question is, what do you guys recommend?

I just use filezilla, right-click a directory and select download. If it duplicates a directory/file, there are some options in the pop-up to tell it to just go ahead and replace all subsequent duplicates for that download queue.
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

I am trying to find away to automate the process for multiple websites weekly. Would it just be easier to do it manual?

That'll have to be your call: with a tool like FileZilla it's really easy to do it manually, but you do have to actually do it.

Writing a [S]FTP script to do it will take some time, unless you can find a 3rd-party script out there that already does most of the grunt work (which is fairly likely, actually, since I'm sure you're no the first person to ever want to download full directories ). So I'd probably try some Googling for FTP tools in the programming language(s) of your preference.
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

Thread Information