www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Need help deciding on best solution for my website

Need help deciding on best solution for my website

Hello Everyone!

I currently own a website, it used to be huge and very successful. I was built on Coldfusion in 1997 and then transferred over to wordpress which ruined the site.

I'm trying to revive the website back to its former glory. I only have 1,000-2,000 visits a day now because of the 7,000 broken links and almost 1 million forum posts lost.

I'm trying to to decide on where I should transfer my site to. Should I go with vBulletin? phpBB?

I am looking to use Joomla and Jomsocial as well with my website, but I'm not sure what forum script would be best for my website. I've researched the differences between vBulletin and pbpBB but would like suggestions specific to my problem since I have no expertise and will be hiring someone to execute this project for me.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thank you in advance,
    Josh

If you are going to hire someone to do your technical work, why would you handcuff them by making a technical decision before including them in the decision process?

Quote Originally Posted by ginerjm View Post
    If you are going to hire someone to do your technical work, why would you handcuff them by making a technical decision before including them in the decision process?
    Hello ginerjm. Thank you for your response!

Well, the thing is, I will not be handcuffing my tech with whatever solution is suggested by the forum. I am only looking for ideas as to what the best course of action would be. I might be able to do some leg work prior to hiring the tech to minimize the workload he would have to do and therefore save me some money. I pay my techs well, but I get to pay them less if the workload is shorter of course.

Also, when hiring them, I will provide them with all the suggestions and information given to me by the forums so they can also brainstorm the best idea utilizing that information.

Nothing is set in stone until the project is done and finished!

what is the nature of your site ?

Quote Originally Posted by BezzzZ View Post
    what is the nature of your site ?
    Hey BezzzZ,

Our site is a source of hair loss information from causes to products to treatments and everything in between. There is a huge amount of articles on studies, news, and everything about hair loss.

Also, there is a forum side to the site where people can discuss all of these things including their problems, their past experiences, what they've tried, etc.

We are also looking to incorporate an interactive element where physicians will be able to interact with potential patients by answering their questions directly on our site both in the forums and in a specialized Q&A location.

We are thinking of using Joomla along with Jomsocial and vBulletin to build up all of these elements.

Joomla is great, I would normally recommend Wordpress based on what you are saying your requirements are, but I realize you may not be a fan anymore

I hear what others are saying about getting your technical guy first, but I understand that sometimes the real world does no allow us such conveniences

Have you considered fixing the Wordpress version ?

What did wordpress ruin about the site ?

Quote Originally Posted by BezzzZ View Post
    Joomla is great, I would normally recommend Wordpress based on what you are saying your requirements are, but I realize you may not be a fan anymore

I hear what others are saying about getting your technical guy first, but I understand that sometimes the real world does no allow us such conveniences

Have you considered fixing the Wordpress version ?

What did wordpress ruin about the site ?
    That's a good point BezzzZ... I think I just had such a sour taste in my mouth when everything blew up years ago that I've just been looking to get something new at any cost. I'm such wordpress has come a long way the past years and I should probably try to fix my site on wordpress. Wordpress is just a CMS so I could still take a look for a better forum script than what I currently have.

Do you guys know viable it would be to bridge Wordpress with vBulletin? My partner is really a fan of vBulletin and a lot of our competitors use vBulletin so converting their users to our site would be easier if they see a format they are more familiar with

One thing that is very important for me is to have a ranking system. Something to rank the physicians that will be participating on our site. We want to give them points and rankings so they can get preferential listings the more they participate on our website and forums.

Reading between the lines it does sound like the issue was the Developer rather than WordPress itself. Any good CMS you use will just let you manage your content, WordPress does that great so then you can leave that in place and concentrate your efforts and what you actually need - the forum and ranking of physicians, I would recommend focusing on getting a good developer to solve those two issues for you rather than the whole website.

Good luck!

Thread Information