www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: URL Refer Link Help

URL Refer Link Help

Hi, I have a page that allows user to click on a form and send the url of the visited page to themselves (e.g. visit page1.php - click on form on page1.php get to form fill some info and send the email to themselve). I am using $_SERVER['HTTP_REFERER'] in the form to get the url of page1.php in the email. But it is not working. I only get http:///// instead. Is there a better way to send refer url to email? I am using phpmailer.

Thanks,
    mandy.

Very confusing post.

You say: "visit page1.php - click on form on page1.php get to form". What do you mean "get to form"?

The referer header is never guaranteed to be sent by the browser, so you should not depend on it.

I would probably try to build it into the form itself, perhaps as a hidden field.
    PHP Code:
    <input type='hidden' name='referer' value='<?php
    echo htmlspecialchars($_SERVER['PHP_SELF']);
    ?>' />
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

ginerjm: page1.php has a link to a form. When the link is clicked it will take the user to the form. I am using the $_SERVER['HTTP_REFERER'] to get the page1.php to the form and email to the user.

NogDog: $_SERVER['PHP_SELF'] will only give me the url of the form. I don't want the form url I want the url of the page visited prior to the form (e.g. page1.php).

Oh, sorry. In that case, unless you have control over that referring page and can create a cookie or something to track activity, there is no way to be sure where they came from, since the referer header could be turned off for privacy reasons, or maybe they're coming through a proxy, or someone just gave them your URL and the called the page directly, and so forth. In other words, you're pretty much stuck with HTTP_REFERER, and you have to simply cope with the fact that sometime it will be empty (and conceivably could even be a faked/spoofed value) -- again, assuming you have no control over the referring pages.
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."

eBookworm.us

Aha! Now you're a little bit clearer. So you go from page1 to a new page that has a form and you want to save calling page (page1) to use to email the user once he completes this form?

How do you use a url (http_referer) to send an email?

Nogdog: I do have access to the referring page I tried to put $_SESSION['refurl'] = $_SERVER['PHP_SELF']; in the referring page and pass it to the form but still not getting the link.

Did you put a session_start() on both the referring page and the form page before you try to access $_SESSION?

eBookworm.us

yes. I am getting other data saved in the cookies just not the link

You're saying that a session var you created in 'page1' is not found in the next page? Either you didn't spell it correctly, didn't use the exact same capitalization, or didn't start your session before accessing the session array in one of the pages

Thread Information