www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Will I regret using a less popular CMS?

Question Will I regret using a less popular CMS?

A vendor we're considering hiring for the redesign of our nonprofit site (an academic journal, currently in WordPress) uses Craft CMS to build its sites. Which "sounds" great because Craft is supposed to be highly content-flexible, and we want an artfully designed, customized site. But I'm concerned about:

1) Smaller community, fewer plugins, difficulty solving problems and finding solutions ourselves, having to rely on the developer to fix bugs or add new features.

2) Craft being discontinued and problems migrating the site to another platform.

3) Anything I can't foresee right now that I might regret down the line. Will I wish we'd gone with WordPress or one of the other more popular CMS's?

Feel free to add to my list of concerns, or to offer reassurance! Thx.

I would have thought that an academic journal would make minimal demands on whatever tools you use. Indeed do you need a CMS at all?

That said, if you do need a CMS it would seem preferable to use a well known one, unless it lacked particular feature(s) that you need. Of course, if the web developer is partially, or wholly, donating his/her time then you probably do not have much choice!

Its a case of whats under the hood...

My friends site had been using a light weitht CMS that was very simple for him to understand, make changes and no complicated or multiple clicks needed... However...

This site stopped working, so I checked and sure enough it was using mysql_ and not mysqli_ for database references.

I also noted a mind boggling array of security or no security scripting as the site appeared to be what is often a boilerplate job with beginners, a copy and paste affair, some elements were OO and others procedural and others very rudimentary manipulation of strings.

I started rewriting all the base code last month, I do a few hours here and there as theres allot of work to do to get this code back up and in a secure method of working and its going to take months of work to rework this CMS in to something that is secure, safe and is future proof to some degree.

SO... You say you are using Wordpress... then likely it will be the best option to you, think of being familiar with its workings, you would have to completely relearn how to go what you can easily do in wordpress. You may want to look at plugins to add features you want...
    --> JavaScript Frameworks like JQuery, Angular, Node <--
    ... and please remember to wrap code with forum BBCode tags:-

[CODE]...[/CODE] [HTML]...[/HTML] [PHP]...[/PHP]

If you can't think outside the box, you will be trapped forever with no escape...

Appreciate the replies, thanks!

Bit late but thought I would add my thoughts too (as someone from a agency that builds Craft CMS sites):

1) Smaller community, fewer plugins, difficulty solving problems and finding solutions ourselves, having to rely on the developer to fix bugs or add new features.
    I suppose this depends on your relationship with the developers, if you're looking for more of a partnership where you both contribute to the on-going development of the site. Choosing a platform you are comfortable with is important.

Craft CMS is different to Wordpress in the sense that it comes with a lot of functionality out-of-the-box, so the need for plugins is far less of a requirement and even so there are a lot of plugins already available so you should be well covered however your requirements change in the future.

2) Craft being discontinued and problems migrating the site to another platform.
    A valid concern, but in my opinion the community around Craft has grown sufficiently to ensure this isn't at all likely and if the organisation behind Craft CMS were to fail I'm sure the community itself would find a way to take up the reins. Craft CMS was launched in 2013 so I believe it's well enough established that you can be confident it's not going anywhere.

3) Anything I can't foresee right now that I might regret down the line. Will I wish we'd gone with WordPress or one of the other more popular CMS's?
    I'd encourage you to take Craft CMS for a spin, get a demo from the developers so you can understand how it works and what you stand to gain over Wordpress. Hopefully that should be sufficient to make up your mind one way or the other. Personally, having used both we find Craft CMS much more flexible for the more custom and bespoke sites we build as it's designed from the ground up as a content management system that makes no assumptions about the sort of site or content we need to build and manage.

I really suggest to stick to good and old CMS'es like wordpress, Joomla etc. Simply because you willl have great amount of plugins, stability (not always, though), instant help and most importantly - those are really SEO-friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by direct_destinat View Post
    I really suggest to stick to good and old CMS'es like wordpress, Joomla etc. Simply because you willl have great amount of plugins, stability (not always, though), instant help and most importantly - those are really SEO-friendly.
    SEO has bugger all to do with themes and which is best CMS...
    --> JavaScript Frameworks like JQuery, Angular, Node <--
    ... and please remember to wrap code with forum BBCode tags:-

[CODE]...[/CODE] [HTML]...[/HTML] [PHP]...[/PHP]

If you can't think outside the box, you will be trapped forever with no escape...

I think you will get annoyed with not popular CMS because you won't have such support with it like with WordPress. At the end, it would be more expensive for you. WordPress now has numerous amount of themes and there are a lot of experienced WordPress developers or PHP developers that can build your website/eCommerce/blog for a reasonable price.
    I recommend you to look at the theme's range at google and also the topic bout key features of good business theme **Links removed by Site Staff so it doesn't look like you're spamming us. Please don't post them again.**
    Last edited by Train; 10-23-2017 at 04:34 AM.

In today Osclass is easy CMS for making website more attractive and innovative. By this you can easy to fix the errors and its not provide the website crashing issues. It has numerous number of themes to install for website and no much retirement of Developer.. You can fix most of the errors by your self.

I don't think so. I prefer some less popular website builders too. For example, MotoCMS is a really cool one. And you can always get some awesome themes from https://www.templatemonster.com/moto...-templates.php for it for your websites. It is a great thing for beginners

Thread Information