www.webdeveloper.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Display Web Page on Standard and Wide Screens

Display Web Page on Standard and Wide Screens

I saw on some website such as yelp.com, when the monitor is with the standard aspect ratio (4:3), the page content fills the full screen; while on the wide screen with aspect ratio (16:9), the page content is displayed on the middle section of the screen (leaving the blank spaces on both the left and the right edges).

How can I do the same?

Thanks

Scott

The yelp site you link to is a fixed with site, 960px wide, centered on the page with a red header across the top at 100% width of the screen. It doesn't change with the aspect ratio of the monitor, at least from anything I'm seeing.

If you are asking how the page is centered on wider screens, that is often achieved by the css setting 'margin: 0 auto;'.

Quote Originally Posted by tracknut View Post
    The yelp site you link to is a fixed with site, 960px wide, centered on the page with a red header across the top at 100% width of the screen. It doesn't change with the aspect ratio of the monitor, at least from anything I'm seeing.

What I try to do is the make the resolution works on IE8, like this:

if the width resolution is 1024 or less, leave it as is;
    if the width resolution is above the 1024, then set the div's width to 75%

This is easy to achieve for IE9 or above. BUt it does not works on IE8.

There currently two approches:

1) bootstrap

2) respond.js

But I do not know how to do it?

Scott

Given what you're saying about the page size, I would think your outer div would look like:
    Code:
    #wrap {
    min-width:1024px;
    max-width:75%;
    }
    Have you tried it like that? I don't see any reason that wouldn't work in IE8.

Given what you're saying about the page size, I would think your outer div would look like:
    Code:
    #wrap {
    }
    Have you tried it like that? I don't see any reason that wouldn't work in IE8.

It is such a simple solution but miraculously, it worked! Now the question, while it works for both IE8 and higher, then why people need to do the media queries stuff such as:

<link rel='stylesheet' media='all and (min-width: 1024px)' href='css/medium.css' />
    <!-- the above will handles the IE9 or higher -->

While for the IE8, use something like,

<!--[if lt IE 9]>

<script type="text/javascript" src="js/common/css3-mediaqueries.js"></script>
    <link rel='stylesheet' type="text/css" href='css/medium-ie.css' />
    ???
    <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="css/bootstrap.min.css">

<![endif]-->

Why so?

Thanks

Scott

Using the css I gave you is a way to make a web site flexible to grow and shrink with the size of the page, which is what you wanted. Using media queries allows you many more options. A true "responsive web site" has *different layouts* for various page sizes (e.g. navigation on a mobile phone is not just a smaller version of navigation as seen on a computer screen), and *different content* for various page sizes (e.g. the content provided to a customer using a phone might be much more concise and limited than the content provided on a computer screen). So while you can get away with what you're doing to compensate for varying computer monitors, it is not a technique you'd want to use to address tablets and phones.

Update:

I tested the following:

When use #wrap {
    }

on IE8, if resolution is greater than 1024, it displays a vertical blank gap on the right handside, but all the content shift to the left, somewhat like: left aligned. But I never specify the left alignment.

When use <link rel='stylesheet' media='all and (min-width: 1027px)' href='css/medium.css' />
    for IE9, when resolution is greater than 1024, the content is centered, leaving the equally sized blanks on both side.

How come?
    Last edited by scottjsn; 02-24-2014 at 07:43 PM.

updated above

I would need to see the file medium.css to say. There's nothing in the style I provided to center that div, so I presume you've centered it in medium.css

Presuming you've got a doctype on the page, adding the auto margins as jedaisoul suggests above should do the trick.

I would need to see the file medium.css to say. There's nothing in the style I provided to center that div, so I presume you've centered it in medium.css

Presuming you've got a doctype on the page, adding the auto margins as jedaisoul suggests above should do the trick.
    I did some adjustment as follows and it now works:

For IE9 or higher, FF, Chrome, Safari, I used one ie9_or_higher.css file:
    <link rel='stylesheet' media='all and (min-width: 1027px)' href='css/ie9_or_higher.css' />

While for IE8, I used another, ie_8.css

<!--[if lt IE 9]>
    <link rel='stylesheet' type="text/css" href='css/ie_8.css' />
    <![endif]-->

Many thanks.

Scott

Just something to note, on my blog I created a new percentage based site with jQuery masonry and the site would expand to the screen of the user which was great... Although then I noticed when I was actually reading a blog post is was kind of horrible to read because the width of the page was too wide, so I reduced it and it's easier to read at like 800px rather than 100%. Something to keep in mind.

Yup. Always best adapt to whatever page size the user selected rather than writing code to change it for him...

Just to extend this thread a bit.

Out of the 1024px width, I try to create a side bar on the right hand side to host the ads, something like:

<div id="parent" style="width:1024px">

<div id="left_pane" style="width:70%>
    content here
    </div>

<div id="side_bar" style="width:30%>
    ads here
    </div>

</div>

Not sure, what is the good way to do it?

Thanks

Scott

Just wondering, have you added the inline styles to save on us reading extra code?
    I would suggest using an external stylesheet, unless you did do the above.

If you have a fixed width of 1024px on the parent then the percentage widths of 70% and 30% will always be the same.

Thread Information