dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: EpicWebs - New Site Review

Thumbs up EpicWebs - New Site Review

Hey guys,

I am really interested in a review (specifically of the technical aspects of the site if possible).

I have tried to optimise the site for speed and I have also made the site from jQuery masonry. There is a couple of things I am specifically interested in for review/suggestions.

The sidebar pulls out from the arrow at the top right (I will be making this more obvious) - how would you deal with a pull out sidebar if the users doesn't have Javascript enabled? Same with the jQuery Masonry too, if there is no javascript then the masonry code will just fail and there will be a long line of posts down one side, not great for the user... any suggestions on dealing with that?

The site: http://www.epicwebs.co.uk/

You don't have h1! Why? Your logo should be a clickable h1 (eg. change 'div id="site -title" into 'h1 id="site-title').

I think there should be 'Read more...' link (or something like this) below each entry summary. It's 'natural behaviour' for users that after reading the summary the mouse cursor is below summary. Don't make users move/scroll back to entry title.

Sidebar: you should make it 'normal/static' on eg. right side (wider 'wrapper' on left side and sidebar on right side). In javascript you can hide it and make it 'pullable from your arrow'. If user doesn't have javascript sidebar will be 'normally' visible on the right side. If user has javascript sidebar will pull out from your arrow.

Tiles and no javascript: I think you can play with RWD (media queries) and floats (odd entries 'float: left', even entries 'float: right'). For smaller screens you can have one column of entries and sidebar on right side. In javascript hide sidebar, make it 'pullable' and add second column of entries and use jQuery Masonry (but for the truth: I don't know how jQuery Masonry work so I don't know if my suggestions is good).

Wow great review thanks.

I completely agree about the read more link, going to do that for sure!

I think hiding with Javascript and visible by default is the way to go, although it means re-doing the sidebar for smaller screens, hmm some food for though.

My bad, I removed the h1 from the header because I wanted h1 for my single page titles not the header, but it makes sense for h1 to be on the homepage, ill fix that, thanks.

Hi EpicWebs.

You had this site up for review on another forum which I was going to reply to but it was locked (Gulp!). Please don’t take my review to heart, but I’m sure there’s something there…

My critique is purely from a ‘design & typograhpy’ perspective. Although I do understand that the purpose and content of your website is more about the ‘technical and informative’ rather than ‘pretty pictures’ nevertheless…

I liked your avatar/logo that you used on that other forum – why don’t you use it instead of the ‘epic webs’ text that you currently have? - Much better to add a bit of interest.

The 3 column layout looks ok, but it all looks too big. It would be more ‘readable’ if the columns were a bit thinner than spreading out over the whole screen – Also the fonts don’t need to be so big – it’s all too much to take in at once. The fact that the columns are different lengths makes it look a bit messy. The columns could have rounded corners so it doesn’t look so stark.

Fonts: The Rancho headings & sub heads font is much better than the previous Comic Sans version, but I don’t think you should use it for your headings inside the boxes. It looks too playful and not serious enough for the info you are presenting. A bold version of your body text (Open Sans) a couple of pixels bigger would make it much more legible.

Having the font size a bit smaller would also allow you to have some paragraph spacing. The use of bold or italic text where appropriate would also help to ‘break it up’ a bit. There are also some literal errors with no space after full points and question marks etc – check it out.

This still stands true:- “Any page of text, printed on paper or viewed on a screen, or otherwise, should be easy to read and comprehend”. After-all, isn’t that the purpose?... We want people to actually ‘read’ what we taken all that time to write – make it easy for them, otherwise they will leave our site and go elsewhere.

Anyway, I hope you take this review in the way it was intended. Not to attack you, but to bring a bit of light to the importance of layout and good typography.

I’m happy to help you out on the design aspects, Gratis. Might give me something purposeful to do than writing this rant!!

Steve.

Hi Steve,

The review is much appreciated.

I agree with the rancho font being a bit too much with the boxes, I have been going back and forth with this one because I really like the font and I wanted the headers to stand on their own a bit, but I will probably end up removing the Rancho from the headers.

If you go to a wider screen it will go to four columns, but i'm going to reduce the width of the media query down so that four columns show at smaller screen sizes, it's just finding the right balance which I haven't yet.

Sorry to disagree but I don't like rounded corners, maybe a small nox shadow or something to make it less stark but i'm not gonna go for the rounded corners I like the clean lines.

Do you think the inner pages look easy to read? I originally had that way too wide and reduced the width to make it more readable, i'm not sure which version you saw thin or wide.

If you wouldn't mind me asking, which forum was that was it a really old topic or something?

Thanks again for the review it's much appreciated!! ^_^

Is there no edit in this forum?

Anyway I don't know what the hell a nox shadow is lol, supposed to be box shadow**

You will get additional features after writing specified number of posts, but I don't know what is this 'specified number of posts'

Ok thank you blashpemy

Thread Information