www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Haven't done a website in years. Suggestions appreciated.

Haven't done a website in years. Suggestions appreciated.

Good morning,

I have not done a website in years, but used to be able to make a decent one. I work in HTML as that is what I can remember. I need to design a website that has a registration / login, pages that have "tests" or quizes. Then automatically grade those "tests" and give a score. So First I know I need a database to compare the login and password to. I have access to access 2010. Can I use this or do I need a different database? If there is a tutorial for for constructing quizes and automating the correcting of such that would be great. I also need a way to not only accept payment, but grant the login at registration when the payment is accepted, and only grant to certain "modules" depending on payment and selection of service.

Sounds like a lot, and I may have bit off more then I can chew, but any help would be great.

Thank you

You cannot do what you intend in HTML. You will probably need JavaScript, or a derivative, for the games, and PHP and MySQL for the database. At a pinch, you can avoid using a database at first by reading and writing to/from a text file in CSV format, (which you could encrypt if necessary). A bit Heath-Robinson-ish, but it might defer the major learning curve of getting to grips with SQL. Alternatively, you can bolt-on a pre-written membership/login module. No doubt such things exist, but how do you find the right one??? The more I think about it, the more I suspect you might be better off with a CMS. But which one?
    Last edited by jedaisoul; 02-27-2014 at 02:50 PM.

If you start by creating the html look and feel of the site then you could move onto the database afterwards.

The easiest entry in a database driven website is probably just download WAMP to your machine and then start to learn a bit of php and MySQL.

Good luck with your quizzes!

Try reading something about code for remembering somethink ore use samothink like wordpress, joomla ect and modify some code like i do on this website lajm-shqip.com

HTML alone cannot do most of what you want. You'll need PHP, JavaScript or jQuery, CSS, etc... . PHP can connect and read data from MS Access with a ODBC connection, such as with using PDO. First thing to do though is create the basic HTML of the site and move incrementally, not jump to taking data from Access or the payment system. Basically, it's a full project but nothing too out of reach.

Thread Information