dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Help- Don't know where to start

Help- Don't know where to start

I recently joined a development team at my school to try and get experience developing, but I do not know how to go about completing my first assignment. I have been assigned the tasks to create the content for the homepage of a website we are creating, along with a static header that will be on all the different pages of the site. I need to have something for next week , but I literally have no html or css experience and don't know where to begin. I have been given resources that I can look at to learn to code, but due to the time constraint I am worried that I will not be able to learn exactly what it is I need to do to complete the tasks. Can anyone point me in the direction that I should be focusing my attention right now to be able to do this?

If you are creating content you could just create the content in notepad and then atleast that is a start. Then you could look at simple tags to format text, like the paragraph tag <p> and the <strong> tag, along with heading tags <h1>, <h2> etc...

Start with the content first then that will give you a good grasp of html.

You say you are part of a "team". What tasks have been assigned to others? That will somewhat determine where you need to apply your focus. For example, if someone else is the "artistic director" in charge of graphics (logos, photographs, "clipart", etc.) then part of your job is done. You just need to coordinate with that person. If another team member is in charge of page layout then you shouldn't have to worry about that either.

All that stated, if you want to learn webdev you really should at some point learn all these things, or at least have a working knowledge of them.

I think making sure your team know your capabilities is important too.

The best advice you can probably recieve is, just go and do it and stop worrying, if you go back in with whatever you managed to achieve then that's what they get and they know for next time not to give you as much to do.

Thread Information