www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: I need help witha simple problem

I need help witha simple problem

When I make changes to my page and reload the page I do not see the changes unless I go into my settings and wipe out my cache. Well the same thing happens to anyone who has previously been to the page which means they are unaware that any changes have been made. Is there some code or something that can be inserted so that any time the page is visited the changes will be sure to show up?

Thanks

If a users browser is caching there isn't much you can do. For external css or javascript files you can add a query string on the end of it to force a refresh.

script.css?version=1.0
    script.css?version=1.1

and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by EpicWebs View Post
    If a users browser is caching there isn't much you can do. For external css or javascript files you can add a query string on the end of it to force a refresh.

script.css?version=1.0
    script.css?version=1.1

and so on.
    OK, can you explain why some pages I go to I always see the new content but on my own its like pulling teeth to make new images or text show up?

Pages are often set to expire daily, so the next day that you visit them, you will see any changes. But on your site you may want to see the changes instantaneously. So it is more of a development issue than a live one. Often all you need to do is to force a page refresh (F5), but if that fails, empty the browser's cache (Ctrl+Shift+Del) then refresh the page.
    Last edited by jedaisoul; 03-01-2014 at 06:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jedaisoul View Post
    Pages are often set to expire daily, so the next day that you visit them, you will see any changes. But on your site you may want to see the changes instantaneously. So it is more of a development issue than a live one. Often all you need to do is to force a page refresh (F5), but if that fails, empty the browser's cache (Ctrl+Shift+Del) then refresh the page.
    Yes but visitors will not know they are not seeing new content so that is the problem Im facing.....

If they don't know what is the problem? They will see it the next day?

You might also check the control panel on your hosting account to see if they offer cache controls. At least one major hosting company (that sells under several different brands) sets accounts to cache .html, .css and image files from 15 minutes to several hours by default. But you can turn it on or off selectively by file type. Look for a tool labeled something like "Web Cache Control Tool".
    Rick Trethewey
    Rainbo Design

As Rick has said, you have some control over the server caching, and can even switch it off. But, as far as I am aware, you have no control over the visitors' browser caching. Sorry.

By the way, are you using IFrames? I ask because it is only when I us IFrames that I tend to have a problem with caching. For this, and other, reasons I would suggest avoiding using IFrames.
    Last edited by jedaisoul; 03-01-2014 at 03:08 PM.

Thread Information