www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Getting value from associative array

Unhappy Getting value from associative array

I have a page for an online store that contains 3 different items that can be bought in 3 different colors and 2 different sizes. I am using PayPal which gave me 10-character ids for each item, though I also use another nomenclature to distinguish between them. I use the first letter of the item, the first letter of the color (luckily there are no duplicates like blue and black) then the size using _ where / would be. This forms a string such as bb1_8 or tw1_4. I have created an associative array using these strings for the keys and the 10-character IDs as the values. So I have the following:
    Code:
    var hookID = new Array();
    hookID["bb1_8"] = "LSADAMANTMZU8";
    hookID["tw1_4"] = "RD3D42AK8EPDN";
    hookID["bb1_4"] = "T94QFP82RW78J";
    etc.
    The problem I'm having is when I try to get the ID value out of the array. When I use:
    Code:
    alert("hookID="+hookID["bb1_8"]);
    I don't get anything. Instead, an error occurs saying "Unable to get property 'bb1_8' of undefined or null reference". I don't understand why I can't get the values out. Obviously, I wouldn't use a hard-coded id, but if I can't get even a hard-coded one, how will I get one that is variable?

Please Help,
    Chris Cote

You are confusing arrays and objects. You define "hookID" as an array, but you are trying to use it as an object. Substitute:
    Code:
    var hookID = {};
    for your---
    Code:
    var hookID = new Array();

Thread Information