www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: hello, and question, is a college-study required?

hello, and question, is a college-study required?

Hello there,

I have been learning html, css, js, php for over the past weeks. i like it! i think on the internet is lots to be found. (sorry if i make mistakes, im dutch).
    now, my question, for making a real carreer on it, do i really have to go study, as in college, or can i just continue on the road that I'm at??

i would just continue to learn mySQL, jQuery and so on. is that enough? or do i need the base that a "real" study gives me? study will cost about 11000 €, with a degree.

my goal offcourse is just making awesome websites!

hope you can point me in the right direction. thanks.

It really depends on where you want to go with your career. If you plan to work as an independent, self-employed contractor building fairly typical web sites for clients, there is no real need for a college degree -- other than it never hurts to learn as much as you can (and not just about the specific technical aspects of building web sites).

If you hope to become part of a team of developers working at some IT or dot.com type of company doing more interesting things (to me, anyway), a degree can help your resume/CV to get noticed. But in reality, the most important thing for actually getting most such jobs is your ability to demonstrate knowledge and experience, not a diploma. However, without the diploma, it may take a bit more work on your part to do people networking, and get people with jobs to know you.

Long story short: a degree is not required, but it can help in some ways. How long it takes to eventually pay for itself is probably harder to answer, and would depend on a lot of variables.

(Personally, I have a degree, but it is in music education. However, I didn't get into the IT business until about 10 years after college, and it was another 15 years before I really started getting into programming, so now my degree is not as important as it might be for someone looking for his first job in the business.)
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

Hey, thanks NogDog!

in fact, what you say is a bit what i expected. But, all people surrounding me, IT-develepers, my wife, even P&O-employers at buisines (that's the department that goes over contracting new employee's, placing people etc, dont know what its called in englisch), they all say: no degree.... no job. and then there is this list, that is a part of the study that is THE IT-study in holland:

Application Management Foundation
    Business Information Management Foundation
    Databases & SQL Foundation Functioneel Beheer Professional Informatie Systemen Foundation
    Information Security Foundation based on ISO/IEC 27002
    Information Systems Design & Development
    ITIL® Foundation
    IT Management Foundation
    IT Project Management Professional Object Orientation Foundation
    Professionele Communicatie Foundation
    PRINCE2® Foundation
    Structured Information Analysis Advanced
    TMap ® NEXT Test Engineer
    APMG
    PRINCE2® Foundation
    Application Development I
    MCTS-certificaten (70-515)
    Software Design
    UMLF en UMLI van OMG
    Oracle DBA
    Oracle-certificaat

now, this is all part of those study's. Those certificates come with it. They dont tell me much, but as far as im concerned: i dont see any program-language!!

IT-person (my neigbour) says: yeeeaah, but its not just the web, like, big-sites need to talk with other secured-servers, eg covernment, and so you need to know more then just html, php, C# etc etc,
    but then i think: thats what this whole is about right?? C#, sharepoint, html, asp.net and so on. what is out there, that i cannot learn from the internet?
    somebody give me a list, ill look things up (im reading/learning all day), and its gonna be allright. my only concern is: what if you put in more months, and in the end, my neighbour is right and i can"t get a job because i'm missing "the core"?

if your answer is just the same, np

Quote Originally Posted by f-banty View Post
    Hello there,

I have been learning html, css, js, php for over the past weeks. i like it! i think on the internet is lots to be found. (sorry if i make mistakes, im dutch).
    now, my question, for making a real carreer on it, do i really have to go study, as in college, or can i just continue on the road that I'm at??

i would just continue to learn mySQL, jQuery and so on. is that enough? or do i need the base that a "real" study gives me? study will cost about 11000 €, with a degree.

my goal offcourse is just making awesome websites!

hope you can point me in the right direction. thanks.
    A degree is still important in my opinion. You will get a better chance of gaining more knowledge and enhance your skills as well. With this, you will be able to get a better offer from different companies.

The list you provide is largely (but not solely) about managing IT developments. As such it is a good foundation, and is largely language independent (hence the lack of specific languages). The question is: do you want to hack code, or manage people who hack code??? The skill sets are very different.

On the other hand, I too have little formal education in IT (just evening classes in basic HTML, CSS and graphics), and I know there are yawning gulfs in my technical knowledge! So it is likely that I would be a better developer if I had more, relevant, formal education.

NogDog,funnyclever and jedaisoul: thanks for the reply's.

I'm still pondering what to do. Study would be starting end of this month (march 2014), but it is to much money to be so quick about. So I'm postponing it anyway untill septembre, in the mean time, I want to learn and know what to do.

Doing a study with a lot of management, finishing when I'm 36y, with not a lot of practical program-knowledge, that doesn't sound good to me. Next to my work (about 25h/w) I'm gonna study very hard and see where I'll get. Then maybe do a smaller study, more program-minded, start working, getting some experience, and then later work my way up, doing some target(management) study's (one or more) from the list above (now below, inside the qoute's). Sounds like a sain plan?

Application Management Foundation
    Business Information Management Foundation
    Databases & SQL Foundation Functioneel Beheer Professional Informatie Systemen Foundation
    Information Security Foundation based on ISO/IEC 27002
    Information Systems Design & Development
    ITIL® Foundation
    IT Management Foundation
    IT Project Management Professional Object Orientation Foundation
    Professionele Communicatie Foundation
    PRINCE2® Foundation
    Structured Information Analysis Advanced
    TMap ® NEXT Test Engineer
    APMG
    PRINCE2® Foundation
    Application Development I
    MCTS-certificaten (70-515)
    Software Design
    UMLF en UMLI van OMG
    Oracle DBA
    Oracle-certificaat
    Well....to be honest, beside's I know I gotta learn js and php or asp anyway.... I'm pretty stuck!

Thread Information