www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Which language and server type should be used?

Which language and server type should be used?

I plan to design a website with the following function:

1) The visitor can upload a file to the server via a webpage.
    2) The webpage will process the file by calling a Windows 32bit DLL on the server, and get a result file in Microsoft Excel 2007 format.
    3) The webpage in the site will display the contents of the Excel result file to the visitor.

Based on the above requirements, which programming language and which server type should I use?

I believe since in 2), a Windows 32bit DLL will be invoked, so the server must be a Windows Server such as Windows Server 2012. A Linux/Unix-based server will not work.

As for the programming language, whether I should use PHP or ASP or others?

Thanks

The php and java or ASP is the language used in server.............................

I move around a lot of data, in and out of Excel so:

1) You'll want to use some sort of Windows machine with Excel installed.
    2) But the HTTP server can be anything that you get running.
    3) You can do this in PHP or ASP. PHP is easier but if you already have ASP running it may not be worth the effort to switch to PHP.
    4) You do not want to read the Excel using the Jet and SQL. The Jest makes assumptions about the data type of each column and when a cell contains something else it gets read as NULL. Open the file instead with ActiveX and then step through the sheet. In PHP, $excel = new COM('Excel.Application');
    “The power of the Web is in its universality. Access by everyone regardless of disability is an essential aspect.”
    —Tim Berners-Lee, W3C Director and inventor of the World Wide Web

I should ad that you might want to re-think the Excel thing. I'm working on a decades long, billion or so dollar, engineering project and engineers love to move data around with Excel so I'm kind of stuck with it. But they also love to put titles on the top line, above the field names--engineers don't know about page headers. Trust me, your users will find every way possible to incorrectly fill out the Excel sheet. They will add columns, they will move columns, they will re-name columns, they will add rows, they will rename the tab, they will put two tables next to each other, they will develop their own, special date format. Engineers get very little opportunity for personal expression. They bottle it up inside until they are using Excel.
    If you can get away with it, give your users an MDB and make them use Access. That'll enforce some sanity on the process and you'll be able to read it with the Jet and SQL. That's much easier than the ActiveX method.
    “The power of the Web is in its universality. Access by everyone regardless of disability is an essential aspect.”
    —Tim Berners-Lee, W3C Director and inventor of the World Wide Web

Thread Information