www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: How to create Open Source website

How to create Open Source website

How do I create a website that is Open Source, so that people anywhere can help design, develop, create and improve the website?

Wikipedia utilized this method, and it obviously turned out very well.

Thank you

Jim
    USA

I have posted two questions in the last 4 days and have not rec'd any replies. (But over 340 views.....) What's up?

Perhaps it could be the nature of your question. I don't feel there is a direct answer and so it can be a bit tricky to answer. I myself and hesitant to reply because I don't want to put out any false information or even sound discouraging.

If you are talking about setting up an 'open source' site in the sense that it is a wiki, like Wikipedia, then this isn't too complicated. There are actually several wiki platforms that you can install on your server and after some initial configuration and setting up the basic parts of your wiki, you can try to roll in users to populate the site with content, update things as necessary and such. Though I feel I should mention in this regard (being a wiki), Wikipedia has people to moderate content that is posted or updated in articles, as to prevent content that breaks their terms, or just false/incorrect information.

However, if you are talking about a completely open source website, in which the structure isn't that of a wiki, but something else. And the site itself, template, layout, colors, stylings as well as the content and structure all get developed and updated by an open source community... well I feel this is a much bigger undertaking. Personally I've never seen such a thing and it may be because such a site would be a huge challenge. Unless you've got your own personal server that you feel is uber secure, it can be risky to allow an entire site to be open source.

But then again, I am not even completely sure what your goal is for your open source site idea so perhaps sharing a few details might help give me direction and I could give you a better answer.
    "Given billions of tries, could a spilled bottle of ink ever fall into the words of Shakespeare?"

Hello jhinusa

5 Best (and Easy) Open Source Website Builders Read More:- http://www dot smallbusinesscomputing dot com/biztools/5-best-and-easy-open-source-website-builders-.html
    Thanks
    Maria Mincey
    SR. Web Developer

Open source websites are the WordPress, Magneto, Joomla,open cart are the open source website........

Try this tiki wiki cms its free and its an open source.

hello,
    To create open source website you should use in PHP. PHP is an open source and provide the easy way of developing the website by using CMS & frameworks link WordPress, Magento. etc.

There are wiki CMS available online just search on google you found many e.g magnolio, tiki, opensourcescms etc

Thread Information