dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Web dev noob question regarding architecture

Web dev noob question regarding architecture

Hello all,

I have spent most of my career (18yrs+) as a C++/Java system programmer (not a novice developer) and have just recently decided to get into web development. I have dabbled with HTML5, Javascript, JSP, PHP, etc. ... and have created a client/server app using a mixture of JSP and Javascript. It has Java servlets serving data forward from the server to the client, after being received based on input from other clients. It's not a chat engine. I wanted to create a near realtime inventory updating application and I have PoC.

My question, is whether or not there's a better way of developing the front end (server was easy for me) to create automatic UI updates than using JSP. Either I am doing JSP wrong (it feels super messy with all that inline code), or I should be using AJAX, Mojo, or something else.

What I would really like is to use the web dev capabilities of Javascript and use JSP to serve up the data in near real time.

I have spent a great deal of time building this out and so I don't want to just rewrite it all if the tech won't do for me what I want.

Thank you.

-Caolan

I think you probably want to look into using AJAX, which likely means using JQuery to help deal with all the nitty-gritty, cross-browser compatibility stuff. Then you can write all the presentation layer stuff in HTML/JavaScript, and just query the server for data elements, typically returned to the client as JSON objects.
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

Thread Information