www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Constructive criticism needed to help improve my website "True Balance"

Constructive criticism needed to help improve my website "True Balance"

Hey All,

I'm wondering if you have a minute could you check out my website www.truebalanceit.com?

And to give you a brief summary of it's about: To give the tools to the public to put virtually anything on trial. Articles from the media that slant one way with missing information to get the full picture? Yup this site handles that. Ideas that contrast each other and require more analysis? Got that covered too.. Can anyone enter in a case or evidence about anything? Mostly... so long as they follow the basic rules of the site. I'm not much into the whole "attack the users instead of the information" nonsense. lol The About page covers more if it sounds interesting to you.

In theory, with enough users, the most important information for both sides of a case should float to the top giving the viewer a one stop location for a well rounded understanding of pretty much anything.

Anyway, its what I'm trying to accomplish, and I'm mostly a software developer and not very experienced in the Web UI department.. so I could use some advice.

The site has gone through multiple iterations with a lot of hard work, and has been online now for over a year, but I'm still not pulling in the user base I'm hoping for.

What parts do I need to improve on? What would the best way to bring in the audience I'm looking for?

Thanks in advance!

From a brief look I gained the impression that the site lacked structure and focus. Also, how is the truth supposed to "float to the top"??? At best, your surveys reflect opinion, which is not necessarily the truth of the matter.
    Last edited by jedaisoul; 03-20-2014 at 12:16 PM.

jediasoul,

Thanks for your response. The "floating of the top" refers to the arguments for the supporting or opposing side of a case. Theoretically, if enough strong supporters pick each side they would most likely be determined to represent it with the best information they can find. Since all supporters can rate the arguments posted on their chosen side the "best" ones should have the highest rating. All arguments displayed are sorted by their collective rating. So, if this is done for both sides then the best information for both sides should be the top argument. Yeah it can be just opinion, but if you chose a side that strongly support wouldn't you want the best information displayed?

This case is the one I've gotten the most activity on so it kind of show what I'm talking about: http://www.truebalanceit.com/Case.aspx?ID=81

As far a structure and focus I'm not sure what you mean. Site allows you to create and view cases about an issue, lets you pick a side, and submit arguments to support your side. Others can come view your case, pick their side and add evidence to support their stance.. or even create their own case if they like.

I've been trying to rip out unnecessary buttons or avenues to make it clearer, but if more is needed I'll do what must be done.

Thread Information