dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: besy way to learn?

besy way to learn?

I'm 36 years old. I have a wife, 2 kids, am passionate about music, and move furniture for a living.

I would like to create a website with some more advanced functions and programming than perhaps available with Wordpress. I know virtually nothing.

If I was going to devote all my time and energy towards it, what would be the most efficient way to go from completely ignorant idiot to advanced developer? I am somewhat biased towards not going to an actual school, because I feel i'd have to deal with a lot of useless courses designed to suck the most amount of cash out of kids who enter into post-secondary school simply because it's the societal norm, thanks

An alternative to a traditional school might be one of the "boot camps" that are springing up, at least in some of the major metropolitan areas of the US. They're all about teaching the specific skills, and none of the other stuff. We have hired a few people where I work who came out of some of the NYC "camps".

If you decide to go it alone, one of the hurdles is avoiding the learning of bad habits, due to the massive amount of data about the web on the web not all being top quality. In any case, probably the best way to learn is to build stuff. Think of something not too grandiose (to start with), then start figuring out how to do it. Break it down into pieces (features, functionality?) and figure out how to build them. Google is your friend (with a lot of searches taking you to stackoverflow and stackexchange, or even here ). But also search Amazon, O'Reilly books, etc. for a few well-reviewed (and recent!) books, both to provide a secondary means of learning, plus hopefully to reinforce best practices. A couple good books on general programming concepts could help, too -- once you learn how to think like a programmer, new languages are mainly just an issue of learning differences in syntax.
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

How to Ask Questions the Smart Way (not affiliated with this site, but well worth reading)

Much appreciated. Is there any one standard accepted online course, or college (Toronto, Ontario), or book, that is generally accepted as The source for straight up beginners? I don't mind going to a school, just looking to get some insider info on the best way to learn with minimal BS, thanks

edit: i'll check out if any boot camp exists in this area, thanks

Also note that allot of web hosting providers have site builder tools that get you started while you work on a site in your own time via alternative means.
    --> JQuery questions here <-- ... and please remember to wrap any code you have in forum tags:-
    [CODE]...[/CODE] [HTML]...[/HTML] [PHP]...[/PHP]

If you can't think outside the box, you will be trapped forever with no escape...

Thread Information