www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Can you trust the internet?

Can you trust the internet?

question arose. I do not like that on the Internet everything is publicly available. How can information be protected?

I think you have the wrong idea about the web:

1. Not all information on the web is publicly available.
    2. The information that is publicly available is put there to make it publicly available.
    3. If you do not want info to be publicly available either:
    a) Do not put it on the web. Or:
    b) Put it on the web but protect it.

What is the problem?

If it is on the internet, it can be accessible to anyone who (a) really wants your data, and (b) has the technology and resources and cleverness to get it, in spite of whatever precautions you take. (See recent news stories on the NSA, check news reports for the last couple decades about hackers stealing credit card info, etc.). Remember, sometimes all it takes is a little human engineering to crack into a site -- it's not always about the security technology.
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

Quote Originally Posted by NogDog View Post
    If it is on the internet, it can be accessible to anyone who (a) really wants your data, and (b) has the technology and resources and cleverness to get it, in spite of whatever precautions you take.
    Yes, but that does not make it publicly known. It makes it known to the security services, or whoever else has similar resources. Not the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by jedaisoul View Post
    Yes, but that does not make it publicly known. It makes it known to the security services, or whoever else has similar resources. Not the same thing.
    Well, if the black hats publish the information they steal in a public venue...

(I'm mostly just making an extreme example in response to a question that I'm really not sure why it's being asked or what the OP really wants/needs to do.)
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

An extreme example does not prove the norm. To quote the OP "I do not like that on the Internet everything is publicly available.". All I was pointing out is that, that is simply not the case.

Its not like that you can hide your information if you don't want it to crawl by search engine or other bots

Up to some extent web have to believe the internet. I am not saying its completely wrong but we need top have our assumptions in what we are making for.

Thread Information