www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: html5 and css3 a complete solution ?

html5 and css3 a complete solution ?

Hi, fairly new to the html5 / css3 side of things, it's been many years since I delved into web development, what I'm wondering is :

Is HTML5 and css3 a complete solution for websites ?

Can it be used to create database driven websites or is javascript still a requirement to do that kind of thing ? (like creating servelets to format data / communicate with a database)

I'm looking to move into a web development role (no real backend stuff mainly front end) using html5 and css3, will I only be able to create static sites with them ?

(I hope I've been clear it's been a long time and I've forgotten so much).

To do anything with a database, you'll need to do server-side stuff. There are many popular options as far as serve-side programming languages go: PHP, Ruby(w/Rails), C#/.NET, Java(JSP), etc. You can even do server-side programming now in JavaScript using Node.js. Ultimately, though, you need some sort of server-side programming if you don't just want to build lots of static pages. (Static in that they cannot be populated dynamically from the database, though you can make them visually dynamic with JavaScript.
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

Fair enough, so it hasn't really gone beyond static pages. I still need to use javascript / java or other server side technologies to run database driven sites.

I've only just started looking into it today and was hoping it could do more than that.

Some nice features in css3 by the looks. Oh well, guess I'll use javascript and servelets like I used to.

Thanks for answering what I know could be seen as a stupid question. (i'll try to keep them to a minimum).

Just note that Java and JavaScript are two distinct and only vaguely similar languages, in spite of the unfortunate similarity in names. Until only recently, JavaScript has almost exclusively been in the domain of client-side stuff in the browser, though it is now possible (but still not very common) to use it with Node.js on the server side. Java, on the other hand, is a full, multi-purpose language, and can be implemented on web servers, typically using the JSP framework, but can also be used to build stand-alone desktop apps, mobile apps, and so forth. It's still big in the world of Fortune 500 IT solutions, but is often seen as too heavy-weight for small, fast-evolving dot.coms (rightly or wrongly).
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."

eBookworm.us

After re-reading the original post I guess I actually caught on to the actual question. When you ask about HTML5/CSS3 giving you a 'complete solution' vs using scripting (you mention javascript) then the obvious answer is no. But to be fair HTML5 does technically encompass newer javascript (the two are somewhat intertwined. Can't have one without the other) improvements that have greatly increased its functionality for websites.

I'm throwing out some untested experimental concepts here, so feel free to disregard them...

Javascript has come a long way in recent years, especially with HTML5 updates. It is possible to create local databases via Javascript that use SQL queries and mimic a standard MySQL database. Also, while it still requires a server, you can use javascript workers to run javascript remotely. Thus my idea arises... What if you used a javascript worker to create a database? My guess is that the workers are instanced and once the code has executed it dies, clearing any information.

Anyway, if I have any point I want to get across here it's that you can go somewhat beyond the old static client-side pages that we used to associate with html/css/javascript.
    "Given billions of tries, could a spilled bottle of ink ever fall into the words of Shakespeare?"

eBookworm.us

Thread Information