www.webdeveloper.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: which editor should I choose??

Yeah....Dreamweaver is best you should try it once.

I did a better job--and a faster one--in NOTEPAD than I could in Dreamweaver.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Initial Man View Post
    I did a better job--and a faster one--in NOTEPAD than I could in Dreamweaver.
    These forums need a like button.
    Java is to JavaScript as Ham is to Hamburger.

In response to Op: Try a few editors and IDE's out and see for yourself. A lot of them are a bit complex if you haven't worked with them before, but quite often when you get the hang of it you'll like it. DW is expensive imo, but there is a trial you can use to see if you think it's worth it. Expression Web is now free so you have nothing to lose. Just play around, everybody has a different setup that helps them work faster and more efficiently, it's just a matter of picking an editor you like.

For example, if you're a big linux fanboy, DW is probably not your thing. If you're a mac user, Expression is basically not an option without some sort of emulator or wine, and a few glasses of wine to keep your sanity while using it :P .

For a good text editor, if you're into cross platform support like me (I switch between Windows, Ubuntu, Debian, etc) then by all means Sublime text would be the best, consistent experience. Good open source editors are gedit (although the new version sucks imo) or better yet, Kate, or for windows, np++ like you've been using all along.

Like you said, lots of options, but at the end of they day, you'll probably just end up with some UTF-8 characters so it doesn't really matter, pick whatever you like :P

The other thing is once you're used to working with the coding itself rather than relying on something like Dreamweaver, you actually can pull off more spectacular results. Clunky coding or not, I defy you to pull off something like The DS Catalogue off with DreamWeaver.

I recommend you phpDesigner. phpDesigner 8 is a fast PHP IDE and PHP editor with built-in HTML5-, CSS3- and JavaScript editors boosted with features to help you create amazing websites.

Notepad++ without a doubt it is the best coding editor and less heavy software.

Don't stick to one type of editor.

I have a few editors and it depends on what I am doing as to which editor I use.

I use ::

Serif WebPlus
    Macromedia Dreamweaver
    Macromedia Fireworks
    Notepad++

I have other bits and bobs but those are the main tools I use, the one I use the most is Notepad++

WebPlus is a WYSIWYG, nice tool to have and use, not had much call for it but worth the 25 (on offer! It was half price and I got 20 off with a voucher as well...) I paid for it.

Dreamweaver depending on how you select your view is more codebased with layout and I have noted that it does something weird with as yet unidentified white space characters that seem to throw PHP errors until they are edited out in Notepad++ and then work perfectly.

Fireworks is used mainly to edit images, I also use another image editor and a DTP that can produce interactive PDF's that post to a server as well as web pages.

Notepad++ is an excellent and free editor that has syntax highlighting if you want it and will open a variety of files including HTML, I do most of my JS and PHP in the editor as the syntax highlighter helps, some people don't like syntax highlighting but thats personal choice.
    Yes, I know I'm about as subtle as being hit by a bus..(\\.\ Aug08)
    Yep... I say it like I see it, even if it is like a baseball bat in the nutz... (\\.\ Aug08)
    I want to leave this world the same way I came into it, Screaming, Incontinent & No memory!
    I laughed that hard I burst my colostomy bag... (\\.\ May03)
    Life for some is like a car accident... Mine is like a motorway pile up...

Problems with Vista? :: Getting Cryptic wid it. :: The 'C' word! :: Whois?

The only time I switch editors is if I need to edit a raster image. Otherwise, all Crimson Editor, all the time.

A newbies thoughts in hopes to help other newbies!...

Ive spent the last couple of months now trying to find the right editor?... with so many options, was very time consuming and very hit and miss... As a newbie I had 3 requests..

1. A 'folder tree' so I could see my pages and bits & pieces to help the brain understand....

2. The option to tweak the font (at least size) to make easy on the eyes...

3. A "preview" function to constantly review progress...

So the process was pretty straight forward.. start with all the little free programs.. step up and try the big guns.. Settle into a final choice/style...

Of all the little freebies these stood out as meeting my requests...

-HTML Kit
    -KompoZer
    -ConTEXT
    -Bluefish (early days fav)

All great little editors to help you with those first html css steps and felt very comfortable with them while making my way threw something like W3Schools.com...

I quickly lost interest in any kind of drag & drop or 'design view' structures.. I found they often displayed the content inaccurately.. leaving me thinking Ive done something wrong when I hadnt.. Little frustrating and quickly lost faith in "Design Mode/View"...

Screenshot - HTML-Kit

Screenshot - KompoZer

Screenshot - ConTEXT

Screenshot - Bluefish

Time to check out the big guns..

- Dreamweaver CC
    - Expression Web 4
    - Sublime Text 2&3 (sits between the big fish & little fish somewhere)

No doubt DW & EW are amazing programs.. with a million features & fuctions... which a newbie has no idea what to do with ...

I often heard people say you need to spend weeks if not months just working out how to use these programs.. while no web building is getting done!..

I think DeathShadow puts it best when he said.. By the time you finally have the skills to master such a program.. will be the same day you have the skills to no longer need it!!!...

Great programs none the less....

Screenshot - Dreamweaver CC

Screenshot - Expression Web 4

Screenshot - Sublime Text 2&3

Making a Final choice.. As a newbie my worlds all about html & css, with javascript & php around the corner.. The program Im hooked on for this road is a little pocket rocket called Notepad++.. Amazing little 8mb program.. see screenshots for details... Cant praise it enough!...

Screenshots - Notepad++

Link to Site/Download - Notepad++

In closing.. there's probably another 20-30 I tried that didnt make the cut... From Vim to CoffeeCup, Visual Basic to Muse... Wow Muse, theres 4hrs of my life I'll never get back.. although I did pouch the redirect script that doesnt work in Chrome... and I cant wait to see the photoshop boys puking out 20mb pages in that thing ... Or am I to late hehehe....

side note: newbies often ask what program do I need for this language?.. the answers easy.. Weather its HTML, CSS, Javascript, PHP, ASP.net, jQuery, Ajax or Json.. There all just text being used different ways!..

So Microsofts Windows boring notepad could do the job.. All the programs mentioned her are just about extra nick-nacks to help.. And you simply find the program with the helping nick-nacks you like!...... Luck!

I really like Aptana. Its good for a lot of different languages. My favorite part of it is that you can customize the colors of different languages in the editor. You can choose a default theme or choose the individual colors of different languages. Only down side is that there is a large learning curve with it. Its free though.

Dreamweaver or notepad++ both awesome html/php languages editor softwares

I use Crimson editor v3.6. It does everything I want. I tried a later version but found it buggy.

Dreamweaver or notepad++ both great code editor tools

Thread Information