www.webdeveloper.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: which editor should I choose??

Dreamwevaer is very good

Quote Originally Posted by boyko View Post
    Expression Web 4 is now free and there is nothing wrong with the editor. We dropped Dreamweaver for it and haven't upgraded since cs4. It's our editor of choice. We also use Visual Studio 2012
    (I think 2010 is now free), and Notepad++.

Expression Web free download. If you try it be sure to install correctly.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl....aspx?id=36179

This may be a free download of Visual Studio Express 2013. We use the paid version so I'm not sure.

http://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/pr...xpress-vs.aspx
    Its working for me really good. why should i not talk it ? its the best so far for me

Quote Originally Posted by drwebsitesuk View Post
    Its working for me really good. why should i not talk it ? its the best so far for me
    What's working really good for you?

For PHP you can use both Dreamweaver and notepad++

Its up to you which you can preffer

Quote Originally Posted by boyko View Post
    What's working really good for you?
    Dreamwevaer

My experience is that:

**Dreamweaver is woefully lacking when it comes to generating templates. One apparently has to be a coder, basically, and obtain coding externally that I have found to work sporadically. Major disappointment after all I've spent on Dreamweaver over the years. Meanwhile:

**Xara.com is based in the United Kingdom and hopefully won't set up shop in the U.S.A. I wasted a significant amount of money and also weeks of time learning their recently released Web Designer 10 software. It doesn't even upload via FTP like they advertise that it will. It has numerous bugs. The worst of all is their technical support though. Their "support" staff will get back to you but not in meaningful ways. You'll wind up wasting loads of time hoping that they'll finally remedy matters. Good luck with that. It won't happen but they won't admit to being at fault.

**I have heard about Holland's: http://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com but after my negative experiences with Xara.com, I do not want to deal with more companies that don't have a presence here in the USA.

Any suggestions for designing template-containing websites affordably and efficiently, please? I have Dreamweaver but I'm not a coder so fancy templates evidently aren't within my grasp.

Quote Originally Posted by rcmx View Post
    My experience is that:

**Dreamweaver is woefully lacking when it comes to generating templates. One apparently has to be a coder, basically, and obtain coding externally that I have found to work sporadically. Major disappointment after all I've spent on Dreamweaver over the years. Meanwhile:

**Xara.com is based in the United Kingdom and hopefully won't set up shop in the U.S.A. I wasted a significant amount of money and also weeks of time learning their recently released Web Designer 10 software. It doesn't even upload via FTP like they advertise that it will. It has numerous bugs. The worst of all is their technical support though. Their "support" staff will get back to you but not in meaningful ways. You'll wind up wasting loads of time hoping that they'll finally remedy matters. Good luck with that. It won't happen but they won't admit to being at fault.

**I have heard about Holland's: http://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com but after my negative experiences with Xara.com, I do not want to deal with more companies that don't have a presence here in the USA.

Any suggestions for designing template-containing websites affordably and efficiently, please? I have Dreamweaver but I'm not a coder so fancy templates evidently aren't within my grasp.
    Expression Web 4

notepad++ is best if you know how to edit and/or write code, that's all you need. Dreamweaver is just a shortcut tool and viewer. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Frontpage works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by mr initial man View Post
    frontpage works for me. :d
    What version...97?

I think so. Might be older.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Initial Man View Post
    I think so. Might be older.
    I still have 2002 on one of my xp machines and my husband has 2003 on one of his 2000 machines. He and our oldest daughter run Autocad 2000 and will not upgrade so they use 2000 Pro.

FP made millions of websites and there's still millions of them out there and probably still millions being made in FP.

One of our favorite mom and pop restaurant's was built in 2000 probably about that time too. They built the site, have changed nothing on the site since they built it except the menu when they make changes to it. All their customers seem to love their site including us. The site is about them and has nothing to do with all the new funky so called web standards out there now. We look at the menu everyday. We could give a hoot what editor they built their site in.

It loads fast, takes a lot of hits, is and has been on page one of Google for a lot of years so why change it.

FP users could care less about code, validation and anything else as long as it works and most of them still do so who's to argue with them. Not me.

I know several very successful developers that sill use tables in probably 95% of their sites they build and they'll argue the point with anyone. They seem to be doing well for themselves and living a good lifestyle and their clients are happy so there again, why argue with them if it works.
    Last edited by boyko; 06-15-2014 at 11:22 PM.

@boyKo, You might be surprised at how many visitors are just bouncing off that Frontpage site; poorly written and poorly designed pages CAN inconvenience users.

THOUGH -- it is possible that if your content is good enough, it doesn't matter. Good content can outweigh EVERYTHING else. It could also just be simple enough, plain enough, and well organized enough that the tools don't matter. As much of a stickler for standards and accessibility I am, sometimes it just boils down to being SIMPLE.

One of the first things I learned about programming some thirty plus years ago: the less code you use, the less there is to break; for designers, the less 'design' you use, the less there is to interfere with the user getting to what's actually important -- THE CONTENT. As much as developers like myself might rag on the painfully bad markup and inaccessible rubbish vomited up in Frontpage, if it was kept simple, clean and minimalist -- it can still do a decent job.

Still, why alienate users you don't have to with broken inaccessible sites?
    Java is to JavaScript as Ham is to Hamburger.

We are leading web development agency according to me Notepad ++ is best but I want to now what kind of problem you are facing ?

Quote Originally Posted by Alexdavd View Post
    We are leading web development agency according to me Notepad ++ is best but I want to now what kind of problem you are facing ?
    And might I ask who you're referring to facing a problem?

Thread Information