www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: increasing font by 1 px

increasing font by 1 px

Hello people,

I have some code. There is a button and text. When the button has been pressed, the text font should increase by 1 pixel every time the button has been pressed. This is de code i have. It should work on this way but i made a mistake at "style.fontsize = fontsize + 1;" but i don't know what the correct code is. Anyone else know?? U should really help me! Thanks.

Reckimo..

(CODE)

<script>

window.onload = function letsgo (){
    document.getElementById("tekst").style.fontsize = fontsize + 1;

}

</script>

</head>

<body>

<h1 id="tekst">"Dit is een stuk tekst."</h1>

<input type="button" id="knop" value="verander kleur" onclick="letsgo ();">

</body>
    </html>

Try something like this
    Code:
    document.getElementById("tekst").style.fontSize = parseInt(document.getElementById("tekst").style.fontSize) + 1;
    "Given billions of tries, could a spilled bottle of ink ever fall into the words of Shakespeare?"

Sup3rkirby thank you for your answer. It worked, but to understand the code, why parseint? Parseint transforms a number to string right? It has to be a number and not a string, am i correct?

Dont understand correctly this piece of code:
    = parseInt(document.getElementById("tekst").style.fontSize) + 1;

Edit: after trying your code the code you wrote doesn't work unfortunately.. Any idea?

It's actually the reverse of what you are thinking. parseInt() takes a non-integer and converts it into an integer. So in the case of the font-size attribute it would take a value like "14px" and convert it to 14, allowing you to properly add a number to it (giving you 15 rather than string concatenation which would give you 141).

[EDIT]
    And my apologies. Since this value is being applied to the font-size attribute it requires a unit. My code would simply return 15 where you would want the value to be "15px". Try this:
    Code:
    document.getElementById("tekst").style.fontSize = (parseInt(document.getElementById("tekst").style.fontSize) + 1) + "px";
    "Given billions of tries, could a spilled bottle of ink ever fall into the words of Shakespeare?"

Thank you for the answers. An integer means number? Translator doenst give a right answer on that translate.

About the code:
    Unfortunately still not working. This is what i have:

http://i62.tinypic.com/5ozbsm.png

(http://i62.tinypic.com/5ozbsm.png)

At this point the problem isn't javascript. There is no font-size set for your <h1> by default. Typically you could set something like that in the CSS. There is no standard (or safe) way to get the font-size of an element if it hasn't been set.

And to answer your question about integers. An integer is a whole number (no decimals). Hopefully that translates a little better.

Oops! My faulty... excuse me.. also i am learning javascript every day .

Still the code is not working... i'm sorry i have to say it. (A)
    Even if i put the <style> under the <script> its still not working. The button works fine, when i replace the function for a alert the button gives an alert when the button has been clicked.

My new code with <style>:
    http://i62.tinypic.com/330a54i.png

Well, it looks like you can get the font-size via javascript, however this method does not work in IE8 and lower.
    Code:
    	function vergroot() {
    		var $fontSize = document.getElementById("tekst").style.fontSize;
    		if($fontSize == "") {
    			var $style = window.getComputedStyle(document.getElementById('tekst'));
    			$fontSize = $style.getPropertyValue('font-size');
    		}
    		console.log($fontSize);
    		document.getElementById("tekst").style.fontSize = (parseInt($fontSize) + 1) + "px";
    	}
    This version will first check to see if there is a font-size on the element itself. If not, it checks the CSS and gets the font-size from there. Again this requires IE9+, Chrome, Safari, Firefox (or any other modern browser).

You can try this trick, which may not work for particular browsers/versions, like so:

Code:
    // assume the element you want to get the font size of has an id of "d1"

var id, sp;

id = document.getElementById('d1');
    sp = document.createElement('span');
    sp.style.display = 'inline-block';
    sp.style.padding = '0px';
    sp.style.width = '1em';
    sp.style.height = '1em';
    id.appendChild(sp);
    console.log("pxWidth: " + sp.offsetWidth);
    console.log("pxHeight: " + sp.offsetHeight);