dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Copyright and legal queries

Copyright and legal queries

I am in the process of developing a website and have a couple of questions.

When developing the logo, is there somewhere I need to check for similarity to others that are out there? Are there any complication that I could run into?

Also, regarding the content; to what extent do I need to reference images and/or information that I have found elsewhere? This may even be from reviews that people provide.

The website is going to be informative and I want to create a collection of information that I feel isn't currently in the market.

Thanks

Here's a couple of sources for you:

http://www.copyrightlaws.com/
    http://www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html

As far as your logo goes there is no "central repository" of all the logos ever made. Some have been registered as trademarks, the vast majority haven't. An image search may be your best bet for checking similarity.

Thanks a lot for the response Kevin.

Regarding the logo, I created it myself, I just wasn't sure how dissimilar it had to be from others that's all.

Thanks for the links also!

I'm not a lawyer/attorney/solicitor (choose what term fits your country). That was the purpose behind the links I had in my first response. Read what the professionals have to say.

Regarding logos: The whole purpose behind a logo is to distinguish your site/product/whatever from the crowd. While there are only so many ways of presenting a "W", for example, the idea is to make your logo so unique that no one else could possibly have it. Everyone recognizes the "golden arches" in front of a building or a "swoosh" on the side of a shoe. Your goal is to be as unique and recognizable as that.

Thread Information