www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Please review my new website: www.discocergy.co.uk

Please review my new website: www.discocergy.co.uk

Dear all,

I have created a new website, and I am looking for some advice on the overall quality of the website, the content / images / information / webdesign, as well as the html code used and optimization possibilities...

URL: www.discocergy.co.uk
    I would greatly appreciate it if you could take a look and give me your opinions and advice! Specially on website optimization and how to improve google rankings...

Thank you very much in advance!!

Best Regards,

Sophie

Before optimizing the website the design and front-end code should be completely redone.

The design does not have any positive sides to comment on - it just needs to be redone. Though I can clearly make out what the page content will tell me by looking at the header - other than that it just has enough mistakes that they all are not worth bringing out.

From the code perspective - basing the whole page on a table is wrong. Tables are not meant to be constructors of layouts. They might come in handy in some cases, but generally we can make a website without them. tables are for displaying data in the content.

Hi Henrijeret,

To be quite honest this is my first attempt at building a website and have therefore based myself on information found on internet. Would it possible for you to give me a few pointers to get started? Where I can start / Things I should focus on / overall remarks...?

Would be super helpful if you could actually!!

In the mean time, thank you for having taken the time to take a look!

Regards,

I think that the best way to start would be to read a lot regularly and have fun with creating websites from the ground up - on your free time for fun. Show your work and ask for opinions to reflect on. Do all that for yourself, but do not create live websites solely on your own skills right from the start.

When starting with webdesign, it takes a while to get a sense of what looks good on the screen and what not. If time goes on the you start to get it how to apply this sense by creating your own designs. Not that you should do stuff that everyone else does, but you develop your design skills by looking and using designs that have been created by experienced players in the business.

So I am coming to my point finally - use the help of templates. There are many awesome recources on the internet. Good free templates and articles can be found on this list http://www.1stwebdesigner.com/freebies/design-blogs/. Take design that you like and modify them to fit your needs. Then you are working with good materials to grow as a developer. Keywords like "best HTML template showcase" and "theme recources" will help you on your journey on Google.

Yes you might find some bad examples of design in the free market of templates. But if someone has taken the effort and coding it and you like it, then why worry. In the future - all the old stuff that you have made will look a bit off to you :P

The problems that really are off in your design are in the art category. From a practical standpoint - everything is easely readable and clear. This is a awesome start, because unreadable colours and fonts are usually the first things to get over.

You design looks very old - from the starting point of webdesign history. Though it has all the structure it needs now.. It is just a matter of practicing.

Draw inspiration from awwwards.com or from themeforest.com and look what makes those designs better.

I'm not a good judge of the art side of the design.. I like more the technical stuff of typography and frontend development :P

Whatever guidelines you have been following are woefully out of date:

1. There is no DOCTYPE declaration, so browsers cannot know which version of HTML is intended.

2. There is no stylesheet, so the design is fixed width and not suitable for viewing on smartphones/smaller tablets. Given the content and target audience, that seems a major shortcoming.

As has been said, you may be better off starting from scratch, perhaps with a CMS (like Wordpress), or a pre-written template. You would then have a more sound starting point, from which to experiment with making changes and so learn what does what.

Hey guys,

thank you very much for your input!! Quick question - is there any "simple" way to change the code to be more suitable than starting from scratch?

Thanks again!!

I went through your website i think you need to make changes in your code, html tags are not perfect for SEO, plus structure and design of website is not very appealing, i am talking from the user's perspective.

SEO Agency Dubai

Hi, I think if the text be aligned center would look better. And if the footer should be added some texts. It would be stylish if the big head get some slides.

Hi there,

Thank you all for your input - we are trying to take all your advice into account and implement changes accordingly...
    I know the structure and design can definitely be improved and we are looking into it...

Would you have key elements / advice / websites I could refer to on this? (webdesign_

@kiwistech: could you tell me why our html tags aren't the most efficient for SEO please?

Look like 90's website :/
    and the design is "hevy"

Thread Information