www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Help Creating a Site

Help Creating a Site

Hi All,

Basically I am looking for some help. I run an online football game and games are run using .txt files. I am looking to create an online teamsheet submitting tool that will allow users to go online, select their team and it will then export a .txt file and email that to the email address that it needs to.

We have a list of rosters that sit on our FTP and look like this:-

Code:
    Name         Age Nat St Tk Ps Sh Ag KAb TAb PAb SAb Gam Sub  Min Mom Sav Con Ktk Kps Sht Gls ***  DP Inj Sus
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    T_Kuszczak    33 pol 25  1  1  1 24 581   1   1   1  23   0 2186   1 156  10   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0
    J_Focher      22 ger 19  1  1  1 12  35   1   1   1   0   0    0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0
    D_Kerr        26 jam 17  1  1  1 28  49   1   1   1   0   0    0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0
    S_Eastwood    21 eng 15  1  1  1 23 769   1   1   1   0   0    0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0
    P_Mertesacker 31 ger  1 18  8  5 29   1 970 631 374  17   0 1543   0   0   0  21  12  18   0   0   6   0   0
    I would like the following to happen:-

I want the website to query for the roster and then display it as normal in the website. To the side of each selection, e.g. in the above T_Kuszczak, I want there to be a check box so that the user can select this players position, e.g. GK.

I would then like to have a separate section on the page that previews. What should happen is this:-

- Select Player position, e.g. Goalkeeper
    - This then puts it in the preview section, e.g. GK T_Kuszczak

I am not sure whether I have explained this the best, and am not sure about how or even if this could be done? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Mjcuthy

I would first look to getting the data in a different format other than text, for the purposes of querying the information. How do the text files get on the server(how are they created)? Are there many of them?

I second what talleagle, try looking at using a different format for the data. Do you have any experience of/access to a sql database?

-----
    webdev_monkey
    www.online-webdev-tools.com

If the data is not too extensive, and you do not want to use a database, you could load the data into a PHP array and access/manipulate it there. Alternatively, you could probably use JavaScript, though that's not my bag. Either way, you can't do this just with HTML/CSS. So I'll move this thread to "general" as it is not clear where it may ultimately belong...

You have 2 choices to use data through database or you can load data into php and grant full access.

Thread Information