www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Vanity URL / Sub-directory - Case Sensitive Issues... Any advice?

Vanity URL / Sub-directory - Case Sensitive Issues... Any advice?

Hi developers,
    I am having an issue with URL casing leading to 404 errors if it is not an exact match when typed-in.

I am trying to do a vanity URL system where I use dub-directories for my clients and their homepage is the index.html file - however, some clients have been preferring Capital Casing (e.g., example.com/ClientName/index.html ---> which loads ---> example.com/ClientName/) BUT when you try visiting example.com/clientname or any other combination example.com/CliEnTNaMe it leads to a 404 error.

I would like it so any casing combination of the URL that is typed-in will be handled how Twitter handles similar situations. E.g., If my twitter username is twitter.com/ExampleUsername and you type-in twitter.com/eXaMpLeUsernAme or any other casing combination - somehow Twitter always loads the users preferred casing, in this case/example twitter.com/ExampleUsername...

How can I accomplish this? Is is htaccess related? If any developer can help me - I would really appreciate it. Thank you!

One way to solve this is to host on a Windows server instead of Unix based. Windows is inherently case-insensitive, Unix the opposite. One work-around might be to set up PHP redirects. To do that you'd have to set up directories for each variation you wanted to catch. E.g.

example.com/ClientName/
    example.com/clientname/

Then in the "dummy" director(ies) put an index.php something like:
    Code:
    <?php
    header( 'Location: http://www.example.com/ClientName/index.html' ) ;
    exit;
    ?>
    <!DOCTYPE HTML>
    <html>
    <head>
    <meta charset="UTF-8">
    <title>URL Error</title>
    </head>
    <body>
    <h1>URL Error</h1>
    The site address has been entered incorrectly. If your browser does not automatically redirect you, please click <a href="../ClientName/index.html">here</a> to continue...
    </body>
    </html>
    Note: You must NOT precede this with ANY code, not even a blank line.

P.S. There are a number of other ways to redirect users, but I use PHP because:
    a) It is handled by your server, so is not dependent on the user's browser.
    b) It does not require changes to the server's htaccess file.
    c) Using the HTML <meta> redirect is frowned upon.

See http://www.wikihow.com/Redirect-a-URL for details of other ways...
    Last edited by jedaisoul; 04-10-2014 at 05:13 AM.

Thread Information