Thread: Vanity URL / Sub-directory - Case Sensitive Issues... Any advice?

Hybrid View

Vanity URL / Sub-directory - Case Sensitive Issues... Any advice?

Hi developers,
    I am having an issue with URL casing leading to 404 errors if it is not an exact match when typed-in.

I am trying to do a vanity URL system where I use dub-directories for my clients and their homepage is the index.html file - however, some clients have been preferring Capital Casing (e.g., example.com/ClientName/index.html ---> which loads ---> example.com/ClientName/) BUT when you try visiting example.com/clientname or any other combination example.com/CliEnTNaMe it leads to a 404 error.

I would like it so any casing combination of the URL that is typed-in will be handled how Twitter handles similar situations. E.g., If my twitter username is twitter.com/ExampleUsername and you type-in twitter.com/eXaMpLeUsernAme or any other casing combination - somehow Twitter always loads the users preferred casing, in this case/example twitter.com/ExampleUsername...

How can I accomplish this? Is is htaccess related? If any developer can help me - I would really appreciate it. Thank you!

One way to solve this is to host on a Windows server instead of Unix based. Windows is inherently case-insensitive, Unix the opposite. One work-around might be to set up PHP redirects. To do that you'd have to set up directories for each variation you wanted to catch. E.g.

Then in the "dummy" director(ies) put an index.php something like:
    header( 'Location: http://www.example.com/ClientName/index.html' ) ;
    <meta charset="UTF-8">
    <title>URL Error</title>
    <h1>URL Error</h1>
    The site address has been entered incorrectly. If your browser does not automatically redirect you, please click <a href="../ClientName/index.html">here</a> to continue...
    Note: You must NOT precede this with ANY code, not even a blank line.

P.S. There are a number of other ways to redirect users, but I use PHP because:
    a) It is handled by your server, so is not dependent on the user's browser.
    b) It does not require changes to the server's htaccess file.
    c) Using the HTML <meta> redirect is frowned upon.

See http://www.wikihow.com/Redirect-a-URL for details of other ways...
    Last edited by jedaisoul; 04-10-2014 at 05:13 AM.

Thread Information