www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Securing php includes

Securing php includes

I've come across two ways to secure php includes:
    1 - With a lock and key code ($ping = "pong" and $ping != "pong")
    2 - by placing the includes above the root directory and accessing them by absolute path (include "/path/to/includes/myinclude.php";.

Are these viable? Or, am I wasting my time trying to secure my includes?

I'm asking because some of those includes contain ad code.

If the file only consists of class and/or function definitions, there's really not much reason to secure it (at least from HTTP access). If you do need to secure it and cannot store it outside of the web root, you can give it a unique suffix (since it doesn't matter what the suffix is if you are including it), and specify in .htaccess or your httpd config to not allow access to files with that suffix.

A purely PHP method to prevent access:
    PHP Code:
    <?php
    if(realpath(__FILE__) == realpath($_SERVER['SCRIPT_FILENAME']) {

header("HTTP/1.0 404 Not Found");
        exit;
    }
    // rest of file...
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

If I understand you correctly, the include doesn't have to end with .php, and can be called something like adsense-code.inc (.inc files are already restricted through .htaccess).

Quote Originally Posted by jwgrafflin View Post
    If I understand you correctly, the include doesn't have to end with .php, and can be called something like adsense-code.inc (.inc files are already restricted through .htaccess).
    Right. The only exception to this would be if for some reason -- and I recommend against it in 99.99% of cases -- that you include it via a URL, which of course would not be the case here since you don't want the file to be accessible via HTTP. (It's been a long week, I didn't get enough sleep last night, so I may be typing gibberish by now.)
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

Got it. Now, go get some rest. you deserve it.

Thread Information