www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: [RESOLVED] Back Button with two function

resolved [RESOLVED] Back Button with two function

Is it possible to have a back button feature that goes back from the previous page if it was coming from the website itself (i.e. page 1 to page 2). But when user come from other site (i.e. google search result) it links to a general page from my website. It can be javascript or php. Can someone pls give me an example script or link to a site that can get me started? thx.

Preventing the back button from exiting your site is one sure way of losing traffic!!!! Don't you get pissed off when other sites do it to you???? Do you return to such sites??? Why do you think anyone would touch your site with a disinfected barge-pole if you do things like that???

Rant over. But seriously: If your site has a high bounce rate, that should be telling you something. Most likely:
    - Your site either has a misleading URL, keywords or description (so people are visiting it who are not interested in it), or...
    - It is crap!!!!

Either way, fix the problem not the symptom!!!

jedaisoul, I should clarify what I am trying to do. I am not trying to change the back button on the browser. I've created a button named "back" with href="javascript:history.go(-1)" and it was meant to have user go back to the previous page from my site that linked to this page. However, if they landed on this page from other site (i.e. google) I want them to go to a general page instead. If they want to back to google they can use the browser's button. Nothing to do with bounce rate as it is not even up yet.
    Last edited by phpnewbie08; 04-13-2014 at 02:14 PM.

Thanks for clarifying, my apologies for misinterpreting your post.

You can check the 'document.referrer' in javascript to get the previous page, from which you can then check to see if this page was on your site or an external URL such as google.

HTML Code:
    <a href="javascript:void(0);" onclick="_GoBack()">Back</a>

<script>
      function _GoBack() {
        if(document.referrer.toLowerCase().indexOf("your-site.com") >= 0) {
          history.go(-1);
        } else {
          window.location.href = "http://www.your-site.com/general/page.html";
        }
      }
    </script>
    "Given billions of tries, could a spilled bottle of ink ever fall into the words of Shakespeare?"

Works great thx Sup3rkirby.

There is a problem with this script. Not sure how to explain this but here it goes. If I go back then click on 2nd link from page 1 then go back click on 3rd page from page 1 then go back the script seems to give me the wrong history (i.e. showing the page on link 3 instead of page 1) after a few times. Is there a fix for this?

I can't seem to duplicate what you are describing.

I created 4 pages for my test, a main (initial page) and 3 sub pages that are linked from this main page. I click on the link for page 1, then use the back link. Then I click the link for page 2 and then use the back link again. Lastly I click the link for page 3 and then use the back link. Each time I'm brought to the correct page (my initial main page). Even if I change up the order and try any number of times I can't seem to get the incorrect history.

Is there anything else you can show/share regarding this? Perhaps snippets from each of the pages you are using?
    "Given billions of tries, could a spilled bottle of ink ever fall into the words of Shakespeare?"

Thread Information