www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: I just need help

Lightbulb I just need help

Hey,

I am a beginning coder, I'm 14 years old and I really like programming (all the programming languages), and I just know a bit of everything. The problem is, I want to become better, I can't train myself without help from others. I learn fast, want to code apps, games, whatever. I just..., want to learn eh. I have no idea why a game is a game like how it is build. Maybe I just need to have a begin with something. Hope you guys can help me how/what.

PS: I know this is in the wrong support or something. But I can't find somewhere else help, so I am just trying it here. I am just a kid, I really love Coding and it's the point where I want to go further with in my life. I just love coding.

Greets

Firstly, coding web sites and blogs are quite separate from coding apps like games. Web sites and blogs are basically text files with a few graphics thrown in. So you need to decide which you are looking to focus on.

The major complexity in developing web sites and blogs lies in the way functionality has been bolted on to the basic HTML. HTML was, presumably, envisaged as a simple on-line page description language. As such it lacks many of the features of a full programming language: no variables, no loop structures, limited styling of elements. It became very successful, but its limitations became apparent. Rather than adding these facilities to HTML itself, CSS, JavaScript and PHP were bolted on.

However, each language has its own syntax and data structures. Making for an ugly mishmash. As an alternative, there are a plethora of content management systems (CMS) that hide the complexities of HTML/CSS/JS/PHP and require no programming knowledge. The problem is that:
    - They are mutually exclusive.
    - Each one has its own way of working.
    - They do not teach you how to code.

Most non-trivial applications these days (whether web, mobile apps, whatever) are developed using object-oriented programming methodologies, so if you are not up to speed on OOP yet, that is something to start working with and learning about, regardless of what language you are using for whatever project you want to tackle.
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

Well, I want the most to code apps, but also buidling websites. I just, wanna learn what I can learn about coding. I've downloaded the android SDK and Eclipse etc. for Android developing. NotePad++ for websites. But seriously idk what to do! Nearly all 'tutorials' and 'walkthroughs' don't learn you for what something is used. But just only how to make it. Example: JavaScript; an Array, I know how to make an array, but idk for what that is used in websites etc.
    I just don't know..., why something is something and not something else.

Hope you guys know what I mean, and/or what my problem is.

Sounds like what you need is to study some basic programming concepts. Maybe spend some time looking for some books/tutorials on general programming concepts as opposed to specific language/application solutions?

For instance, arrays (and their close relatives such as hashes, linked lists, and so forth) are basic data structures in any modern programming language, and if you currently do not have any idea how/why to use them, you may not be quite ready yet to just jump into developing full-featured web apps, games, or whatever. I don't mean that to be a put-down or to be discouraging, but rather to suggest that there are some basic skills needed that might not be easily learned by looking at web tutorials designed for specific issues. Sometimes the web is not a good substitute for a well written, peer-reviewed book on beginning programming theory and technique, or an actual class on the subject if such is available and affordable to you.
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

Exactly!

But what do I need to do now? I mean, do I need to just 'begin' a project and search continiously for solutions for every 'thing' in my project? Or something else?
    I am an 'exact' person, I always want to know why something is something. And everything about everything. But really thanks for the answers.

-And I already know much of HTML5/CSS I want going to the 'interactive' side of programming.

Thread Information