www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Sales Orientated Dashboard Presentation

Sales Orientated Dashboard Presentation

Hi Guys

I have been tasked with producing a system that will allow dozens of our sites to access webpages via a Raspberry PI connected to a Plasma Screen to display sales data.
    Each screen could display completely different data, and should have the capabilities to role through multiple pages on a loop.

I have already produced a single page as a demo. Just to show the type of content we can display.
    This page is a static .net page that refreshes sections of the page using AJAX Panels.
    The data is collected from a central database using a direct connection.

What I want to achieve is for all of the rasp pi's to be programmed exactly the same and all querying the same URL.
    The page that receives to request will fetch to MAC Address of the Rasp Pi, match it against an MS SQL Table and return the page code for that Rasp Pi.

My first thoughts were to simply have multiple .net pages and the database just redirects the Rasp Pi to the appropriate page.
    However I know it is also possible to store html in the Database. But I am not sure how this would work.
    I am .net developer with some javascript experience and so using my existing skills I would need to store an aspx file in the database, but then how would that interact with the Web.Config.

I guess I am just after some general advice.

What Tech would you use?
    How would store the code, DB or File?

Any advice would be very gratefully received.

Many Thanks
    Carl

I would suggest you start off with the simplest solutions to implement. E,g,:

Problem: Identifying the site/workstation so each can receive different content:
    Solution: Pass a GET parameter in the URL. E.g. http://mysite.com?site=255

Problem: Building the web pages (DB/file).
    Solution: PHP include files.

Thanks for the quick reply jedaisoul but I think I have already identified that I will be doing this in some shape.

"The page that receives to request will fetch to MAC Address of the Rasp Pi, match it against an MS SQL Table and return the page code for that Rasp Pi."

The MAC address of the Rasp Pi will be linked to a site in the database.

Why? What is the advantage of this? What if a machine fails?

Mostly for security. Means that not just anyone can access these pages. And the users can't just browse to them using a URL.

It the Rasp Pi fails we just send a new one and update the Mac in the DB.
    Rasp Pi are only 25!

I acknowledge the security aspect, particularly if it avoids the necessity of user logins. It is an elegant solution.

Thread Information