www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: [RESOLVED] Get a section of a URL with Javascript for use in an API Call?

resolved [RESOLVED] Get a section of a URL with Javascript for use in an API Call?

Hello All,

I would like to use an API to imitate a click a link for a user in our IT Support system, i need to pass the GUID in the Javascript code. Please can anyone help with a function that can get part of a URL?

For example i would like the GUID below that is after '&key=' but is not always the last statement (it is always 36 characters long):

http:/localhost/WebAccess/wd/object/...4-f990a9b4ad26

Hope there is enough information above and much appreciated for any help you can provide!

Happy Easter!
    Dan

There are a lot of functions/methods people use to get URL parameters but one that I've been using for a while now is this:
    Code:
    function _URL() {
    	var $a = {};
    	var $b = window.location.href.replace(/[?&]+([^=&]+)=([^&]*)/gi, function(m,$k,$v) { $a[$k] = $v; });
    	return $a;
    }
    var $_GET = _URL();
    It's a simple little function that grabs all of the key/value pairs in the URL (such as 'class_name' and 'key' in your example URL). I set it equal to a variable named $_GET to emulate PHP. So if you wanted to get yoru GUID using javascript (after adding that function and variable) you would just call:
    Code:
    console.log($_GET["key"]); // Outputs they GUID to the console.
    And for clarification, console.log() is only for this example. It's effectively a debug replacement for the classic alert() and is only used for this example (aka. it has nothing to do with what you'd be putting in your code). I only bring it up as it still seems to be new to many javascript developers and I wanted to avoid confusion.
    "Given billions of tries, could a spilled bottle of ink ever fall into the words of Shakespeare?"

resolved

Sup3rkirby, you are awesome! That did the trick and will help massively on the road to make out users lives simpler! You were correct with my lack of knowledge and experience but your instructions are fantastic.

Thread Information