www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: New to PHP. Is there a way to make changes to my site without actually writing code?

Hybrid View

New to PHP. Is there a way to make changes to my site without actually writing code?

My knowledge of PHP goes as far as P comes after O and H comes after G. Basically I have no education in computer language. Nevertheless, I have built my own websites in the past using WebPlus X2 program and copied and pasted few codes here and there.

Now I have hired someone to build my site www.onebirdie.com and aesthetically it is quite lacking compared to my old site but has functionalities which I will never be able to do on my own.
    And I discovered that it was built on Smarty framework. Whatever that means.

The question I have is this. I want to be able to do simple changes to the site like changing background image or adding a menu item to the menu bar with a link to another window (which I think can be linked to HTML file I create?). And I have no idea how to go about it.

Is there a program that will let me load this site and give me options to change designs or add features to it like the "WebPlus" program I've been using to develop HTML sites? Or should I just hire someone to manage this site? Anyone interested in free-lance work?

Thanks. Any feedback would be appreciated.

I don't know how much help I'll be as I can't really give you full recommendations or specifics, but let's see how this goes.

Firstly, to be fair I don't use WYSIWYG editors or anything of the sort (text-based only). So I'm not extremely familiar with what all is available. I don't think I've ever seen a server-side implementation of a website editor builder that can be integrated into an existing site. There are editors and builders out there, but generally they require that you build your site using them, not plug an existing site into it.

However, there are client-side solutions (actual programs) such as Dreamweaver (or a number of alternatives that I'll list in a moment), which can allow you to connect via FTP to a site and edit the pages in a simple WYSIWYG editor, and then of course save and re-upload the files. So based on what I know in this area, I feel like this would be the best solution for you.

Dreamweaver is obviously going to cost you (and Adobe is a bit pricey in my opinion, even with the new CC licensing), but there are a number of other options that you might like better:

Microsoft Expression Web 4
    (Free)
    Aptana Studio 3 (Free)
    KompoZer (Free, a bit outdated)

There are still a number of other options, but those are 3 that I know can do what you want and are easy enough to use.
    "Given billions of tries, could a spilled bottle of ink ever fall into the words of Shakespeare?"

Thank you for the info. I will definitely give it a try!

Thread Information