www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Querying Webpages

Querying Webpages

Hey!

I am a student from Austria an currently studying Mechanical Engineering. Lately I found my way into some software developing work but consider myself merely a beginner. As such, I stumpled across some questions already, that bug me a bit.

The one question I am really interested in is, if it is possible to query a web page, that offers manual querying. For example if there is a site offering train services, there are several input fields (from, to, time, ...) that need to be filled out. Manually I just go on the page and do it myself, but I was wondering if that is possible via a script?
    I do know that something like this is, why captchas where invented. And that it is possibly illegal.

But I do need a database of train lines, so that in my application I can do some querying. And putting all the information of the train lines manually into a database is very tedious work. Nevertheless I am currently in the process of doing exactly that.

Can I make use of the data of a train site or is manually putting it into a database the way to go? How do professional developers approach this problem?

Regards
    pat3d3r

I'd suggest asking the owners of the site(s) whether there is an approved API that allows you to query their database.

Hey!

I already did that, and they declined the request. At least for private use. So I guess that means typing it in manually.

pat3d3r

Thread Information